Diver attacks great white.....YIKES!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bravo Zulu to Nemo-the-Fish and ScottyK.Those kinds of attitudes and behaviors are also far more attractive to others than preaching.Lead by example.The old bumper sticker Think Globally Act Locally is some much window dressing for some folks.They have an agenda to force thier version of ecological morality on others while rarely evaluating the actual effects behaviors have.I've used the example of having organic lettuce shipped 2800 miles in a unregulated diesel truck.

Hey Lal, no diving lately, recovering from injury and practising primitive archery, looking forward to spearo again soon, kudos on house, when do we set up one of your rooms for dive equipment? (*)(*)
I don't believe this guy hit the shark in the head with a 12ga powerhead, unless maybe it didn't detonate (besides, if it's true it means even us spearos are defensless!) see ya zeNBowyer

zeNll,have a few friends here that spear and shoot traditional.1 went to Africa this summer and thinned some antelope herds.No shot over 18yds.Handmade English bow,homemade arrows.Hope you heal soon.

African safara, musta been awesome, congrats with the longbow, I just put a 75# hickory backed cherry wood bow together, along with making a lot of leather tackle (yeah PETAphiles, leather:), something earthy about a longbow, send me a picture of your setup 100:) zeN

100days-a-year once bubbled...
The old bumper sticker Think Globally Act Locally is some much window dressing for some folks.They have an agenda to force thier version of ecological morality on others while rarely evaluating the actual effects behaviors have.

We have the misfortune of other out of state environmentalist groups attempt to intervene here in local management issues. Due to a century of ecologically driven fire suppression and more recent recent opposition to logging, the local forests now have 3 times as many trees as they should have. The result is a massive beetle infestation that kills the closely packed trees (and beetle infestations are not a problem if trees are 30 or more feet apart) which now poses a huge risk of a catastophic fire the poorly manged forest.

The ecological solution proposed by the envronmentalists who causeed the problem in te first place is to let nature take it's course and to let them burn. But given how they have already screwed with nature taking it's course, the cure is rather severe.

The sane solution has always been to manage the problem with selective thinning and controlled burns but thinning was viewed as logging and deemed evil (as environmentalists build their houses with imported lumber from someone else's forests.) The solution now still involves logging to remove the affectred trees and to thin neighboring areas to stop the spread of the beetles. But this ahs bene opposed and stalled in court for over 4 years while beetle spread and we encounter the most severe fire seasons in our history in the area. (and fire damaged trees that lack the sap needed to defend themselves in turn provide excellent breeding grounds for more beetles).

Me personal and some what jaded thought is that if you don't live here and do not have to live with the consequences of your wellmeaning but ill conceived ideas, you should not have a seat at the tables when management plans are developed. Nor should you have a right to sue in court to delay those solutions.

DA Aquamaster once bubbled...

Me personal and some what jaded thought is that if you don't live here and do not have to live with the consequences of your wellmeaning but ill conceived ideas, you should not have a seat at the tables when management plans are developed. Nor should you have a right to sue in court to delay those solutions.

DA - we have a similar situation in Ontario with the spring bear hunt. Some well-meaning weekend "naturists" in Southern Ontario (the majority of Ontario population is in southern Ontario) had their heart strings tugged by the picture of an orphaned cub. Since then, no hunting in the spring. Results? More "nuisance" bears have been shot every year in the North since the cancellation of the hunt, not to mention bears roaming many northern communities and landfills looking for food, because thier population has increased. While the popultions live in thier concrete jungles, without fear of ever seeing a bear, I had one walk across my front yard 2 nights ago.....

So while I agree with some of your statement above, what can be done - for instance - shark finning. I've only seen one shark on one dive (not too many fresh water sharks around :) ), while in Florida last year. Should I just sit on my hands, and read article after article on how this goes on and that it appears its not going to stop anytime soon? Where I live and dive I will never see a shark - yet it actually angers me that people cut the fins off these great animals, and toss the rest back into the ocean. What a complete waste......

SS

What I think you should do is listen to both sides of the argument, especially any interactive talk such as a debate. The Sierra Club has staunchly opposed any clearing of land in California. When asked about maintenance cutting to protect against natural forest fires, a say that any relaxation for that purpose will be used to sneak in commercial logging projects desguised as maintenance cutting. THis would indicate that maintenance cutting should be allowed and that strict supervision should be required to prevent commercial interests from performing cuts not in the interest of long term forest survival.

The bottom line is that you can't listen to just one side and make a decision. You have to know about the subject before you become an active participant in the debate. A misniformed activist is often worse than no activist.

BTW, I understand the Sierra Club's position. I vigorously oppose any gun control legislation since I believe any gun control measure will simply encourage gun control freaks to push even harder to ensure that only criminals have guns, much like only criminals having drugs.

adder70 once bubbled...

The bottom line is that you can't listen to just one side and make a decision. You have to know about the subject before you become an active participant in the debate. A misniformed activist is often worse than no activist.

BTW, I understand the Sierra Club's position. I vigorously oppose any gun control legislation since I believe any gun control measure will simply encourage gun control freaks to push even harder to ensure that only criminals have guns, much like only criminals having drugs.

A misinformed activist is often worse than no activist

Far, far too many "activists" out there, just looking for a cause to throw thier voice behind. While many of them have good intentions, the uninformed often create more problems than they solve. Wait a minute here - are we talking about the Canadian government?

As for gun control and people who support it, have a look at Canada and how successful its worked here. Talk about trying to find a solution to a problem that never existed. Canada has/had 100 +/- deaths a year as a result from guns - estimates say approx. 7 million firearms in Canada. Now however, all the hunters have filed thier guns, at a cost of billions of dollars to taxpayers, and we nearly doubled deaths due to guns in 2003, with less convictions than before.

Good job guys!

Sorry for derailing this thread...... I'm feeling a little political today

SS

Hey... all joking aside, eco or otherwise.. that guy is officially off my list of potential dive buddies! I can just see myself looking at something and look back to check with my buddy and there's "Dances with Great Whites" off wrastlin' with a 20' beastie, Australlian accent dub over "Lets get in for a closer look at 'er! Crikey, look at the size of those teeth! She could eeeeat a man 'ole in one byte!" between me and the boat.

with that great Aussie accent - "Ain't she a beauty!"

SS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom