Diver collapses off Cape Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

telemonster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From Pilot Online article ( Unconscious scuba diver evacuated off Cape Hatteras | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com ):

he Coast Guard has evacuated an unconscious scuba diver who collapsed during a dive this morning 30 miles south of Cape Hatteras, N.C.

Watchstanders at Coast Guard Station Hatteras Inlet received notification at 10:58 a.m. from the Flying Fish, a 58-foot recreational dive vessel, that a diver was unconscious after a 10-minute 130-foot dive, the Coast Guard said in a news release.

At 12:20 p.m., a helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City hoisted the man aboard and transported him to Sentara Leigh Hospital in Norfolk.

I do hope this has a positive outcome. It's been a hard year and too many losses!

My prayers are with him and his family!
Carolyn:sharks:

Does anybody have any additional details on this?
Not much but a little: Coast Guard Medevacs Unconscious Diver
Coast Guard Medevacs Unconscious Diver
July 08, 2008 U.S. Coast Guard|by PO3 Mark Jones

PORTSMOUTH, Va. - The Coast Guard medevaced an unconscious diver 30 miles south of Cape Hatteras, N.C., at 12:20 p.m. today.

Watchstanders at Coast Guard Station Hatteras Inlet received notification at 10:58 a.m., from the Flying Fish, a 58-foot recreational dive vessel, that a diver was unconscious after a 10-minute 130-foot dive.

A helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., hoisted the man aboard and transported him to Sentara Leigh Hospital in Norfolk, Va., for treatment.

"We have training every month for CPR and dive injuries so that we are prepared for anything that might come up," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Bradley Pigage, the rescue swimmer in the crew.

I hope things turn out OK for him.

I heard:
Diver not likely to make it....ran OOA free ascended massive AGE..... at deaths door. 10 min at 130ft and out of gas? Probably shouldn't been there.

I heard:
Diver not likely to make it....ran OOA free ascended massive AGE..... at deaths door. 10 min at 130ft and out of gas? Probably shouldn't been there.
Sorry to hear he may not be okay. There are various possibilities as to why he may have experienced OOA at 130 ft if that part is indeed true, including possibilities of equipment failure. The deeper we do dive, the more important close buddy work and/or reliable alternate air sources are.

We probly will not get the facts on this one, at least until the DAN accident report in 2 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom