Diver collapses off Cape Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats why I pledge to myself and buddies to be more attentive, and always seek training. One can never learn too much. Not that the diver did anything wrong. Just reassurance for me.

He didn't do anything wrong. The poor guy had a heart attack on the bottom. Embolized on the way up and had to be resuscitated onboard. He had plenty of air and no equipment malfunction that I could see. CPR brought him back in a few minutes but he never regained consciousness. CG told us later that the crew and other divers onboard did a great job but it doesn't look good. His young niece was with him on the dive. Damn tragedy.

Hi Condor, welcome to SB. I take it you were there, or know the diver? Thanks for the information and my condolences to all of you affected by the tragedy. I do hope his niece does not feel any guilt whatsoever; these things happen.

Condor, any reports on the new diver hurt on Tuesday? Is there any connection between these two accidents and how the Capt/crew is salvaging copper/brass pipe off the wrecks during the customer dives to sell as scrap?

Condor, any reports on the new diver hurt on Tuesday? Is there any connection between these two accidents and how the Capt/crew is salvaging copper/brass pipe off the wrecks during the customer dives to sell as scrap?
Now that's certainly an interesting suggestion. :confused:

Normally I don't hold the boat & crew responsible for much more than safe transportation to and from the dive site, perhaps with matters involving equipment, fills, or services they may include in the charter, and just maybe their actions in case of an emergency and how well they rise to the needs. How a diver may conduct his/her dive, gas management, etc or may have possible health problems are usually beyond the responsibilities of the boat & crew. I saw a diver from my boat pulled from the water once after an OOA ascent and embolism and another time I saw a diver leave our boat after suffering a cardiac event in the water; I could only commend the crews in both cases for their assistance with diver problems.

Salvaging metal from wrecks for scrap sales is an interesting idea. I've dived wrecks off of NC a few times and have a few pieces as souvenirs but I am not familiar with any operations along those lines. Even if true, it may not have anything to do with the focus of this tread, or could it? I guess it could if such operations were happening during this injury, or of another one. Sometimes dive shop rumors is all that is available for some time after an accident. Do you have any other information you'd like to add?

Although it has nothing to do with this accident, My husband and I dove with this operation in June and witnessed the salvage of large copper piping from the Dixie Arrow by crew members.

Now that's certainly an interesting suggestion. :confused: Do you have any other information you'd like to add?

It's not a suggestion, it is well known that the boat is removing scrap pipes from the wrecks to sell while on these dive trips. Just ask anyone who has been a customer on the trips this year. No info on the new injured diver, I just got the phone call this afternoon. Makes you wonder?

Although it has nothing to do with this accident, My husband and I dove with this operation in June and witnessed the salvage of large copper piping from the Dixie Arrow by crew members.
Sunk by the Germans in 1942 WWII, mostly covered by sand until Hurricane Irene in 1999, and they were salvaging large pieces for scrap from it at the same time as putting recreational divers on it?! Damn!
It's not a suggestion, it is well known that the boat is removing scrap pipes from the wrecks to sell while on these dive trips. Just ask anyone who has been a customer on the trips this year. No info on the new injured diver, I just got the phone call this afternoon. Makes you wonder?
That's why I asked. I've only dived out of Morehead, and I don't think I'd like to dive with a charter who does that. Right or wrong, I would be interested in more info.

We Need All the Prayers for Chris, He is still in an induced comma and no signs of movement on his left side. He has been ongoing decompression chamber visits to shrink the air bubbles, so that they can be passed and no clots form. What happened was he had a asthma attack at depth and he came up to quick and also had a heart attack as well. And as far as his neice is concerened she was right behind him comming up and she had a little spell, but as far as I hear is doing better. We need to keep him in our praryers and hope he comes out of it. There might be some long term issues with him but that is unknown until he comes out.

Thanks and please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.......JW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom