Diver dies after getting caught in rocks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually think Diver's Cove is probably the most benign dive in Laguna (any maybe SoCal). We were there the weekend before last so my wife could try doubles for the first time. It's shallow, an easy entry, and mostly sandy bottom.

If you do, however, get too close to the wall where Giggle Crack is, I can see it becoming dangerous. I would certainly avoid that part of the site.

Edit: Here are better links to the site in question:

Diver's Cove

Divers Cove: Laguna Beach, California

Rainer, could you help us understand where this Giggle Crack is located?

giggle crack, laguna beach, ca - Google Maps

What a difference from the site I found. Seems innocent enough based on those pages, but still on such a small beach a slight navigation error and you end up in a potentially deadly area seems a little unsafe. Plus it seems there have been a number of accidents (dive & non-dive) related to that site, especially giggle crack.

And wait, doesn't one of those signs indicate that scuba diving isn't allowed or not recommended??

The link you posted seems to be of a different site (the photo certainly isn't of DC). Maybe something near Heisler (farther to the west). I've never dived right up along the rocks on the Fishermen Cove side. That's the only spot there I could see being potentially dangerous with big swell.

What a difference from the site I found. Seems innocent enough based on those pages, but still on such a small beach a slight navigation error and you end up in a potentially deadly area seems a little unsafe. Plus it seems there have been a number of accidents (dive & non-dive) related to that site, especially giggle crack.

And wait, doesn't one of those signs indicate that scuba diving isn't allowed or not recommended??

No, it just mentions that the lifeguards can close the beach to diving if conditions become dangerous (usually just big surf). That happened a few weeks ago in Laguna.

I'm blatantly copying the following from the Sheckler's SoCal beach diving book (and I'll remove it if asked). It shows the location of Giggle Crack. Diver's Cove would be just to the left of this picture (west of Fisherman's Cove).

82341d1284433993-diver-dies-after-getting-caught-rocks-20100913-1-3.jpg

Rainer, could you help us understand where this Giggle Crack is located?

giggle crack, laguna beach, ca - Google Maps

Attachments

• 20100913-1-3.jpg
    20100913-1-3.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 360
That makes three California scuba deaths this weekend - Yukon, Laguna and Monterey. Not a good weekend at all, too bad for them and their families.

Especially when diving on the North Coast, I'm VERY conscious of not getting too close, too shallow to the rocky shore where the surge would surely beat you up. Compared to the ocean, we're nothing.

This is good information for those of us not familiar with rocky shores and surge. Thank you!

I still have dificulty locating "giggle Crack" even after reviewing the chart Rainer provided.

Is it the area commonly refered to as the "washing machine" located on the point directly under the appartments on the cliff? ---between Divers Cove and Fishermans cove (Aka Boat Canyon?)

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom