Diver dies in San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real question here is this..... Is there any more news on what happened?

Has anyone talked to John Moore to see if there is any new news?

What about using it in both BC and lungs? Not that I'd ever want to try this, but couldn't the BC be used as a source of emergency air? Worst case scenario, OOO and ascending, how about sticking the oral inflator in your mouth, hold the purge button, and breathe out/in a few times? Yes, it would be nasty, recycled air, but that's better than breathing water.

Ugh.

Dumpster's conclusion is as wrong as is the above.

Never breathe from your B/C. Period.

The real question here is this..... Is there any more news on what happened?

Has anyone talked to John Moore to see if there is any new news?

I haven't heard of any additional news about the incident being released. There was a tentative autopsy scheduled for the Monday following the incident. I don't know if the autopsy was ever performed. If it was, the results haven't been released to the media.

John Moore hasn't posted anymore info on the Divebums list-serv. If he does, I'll ask for permission to post it here.

Dumpster's conclusion is as wrong as is the above.

Never breathe from your B/C. Period.
Why not? I see to recall watching the DIR3 video and hearing George Irvine say you can do just that in an emergency. The gas in there is going to expand as you ascend and breathing it as you vent can't hurt.

Why not? I see to recall watching the DIR3 video and hearing George Irvine say you can do just that in an emergency. The gas in there is going to expand as you ascend and breathing it as you vent can't hurt.

Of course that is a possibility. The risk of infection etc. is unimportant relative to the emergency. I actually know a solo diver who did just that and he said he just barely made it to the surface. However, to be honest I think it would be very difficult in a real emergency, but if you had nothing at all to breath.....

With regard to the DIR tape, I think that you misunderstand what he was saying...As I recall, he says that you can breath off a standard inflator by depressing both the inflate and deflate buttons simultaneously (this would work if you had a second stage failure not a low or out of air condition). I don't recall him talking about re-cycling air in and out of the BC bladder, but I could be wrong??

There's been nothing new. I believe the memorial is this coming Saturday. Maybe after that it will be time to think about talking to the family about the incident. I'm in no hurry. We'll all find out eventually, and there's really no urgency...

With regard to the DIR tape, I think that you misunderstand what he was saying...As I recall, he says that you can breath off a standard inflator by depressing both the inflate and deflate buttons simultaneously (this would work if you had a second stage failure not a low or out of air condition). I don't recall him talking about re-cycling air in and out of the BC bladder, but I could be wrong??

Dumpster is correct. GI3 was showing how you could depress both buttons and breathe from the hose. It is fresh tank air not recycled air. There is a link to the DIR III video in this thread if anyone would like to watch the techinque. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/250226-here-hi-res-download-dir-iii.html

I would imagine the main probem with breathing BCD air is the same fungus that infects bagpipe bladders and other "stale" air places that can be moist. That being said, if it was all I had...

Mike

I would imagine the main probem with breathing BCD air is the same fungus that infects bagpipe bladders and other "stale" air places that can be moist. That being said, if it was all I had...

Mike

No.

The main problem is that after a breath or two, you will be down to 15% O2.

Then a few more breaths, and 10% O2.

Then depending on your depth and ppO2, you will be unconscious fairly quickly and quite by surprise.

And that would be like breathing seawater.

As I said, although perhaps you weren't listening/reading, you are infinitely better off keeping your reg in your mouth, and breathing from your tank as it gives up more air/nitrox due to the decrease in ambient pressure in accordance with the laws of physics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom