Diver drifts 3 miles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He never does. :rofl3: You never wonder where you stand with him. :snicker:

Trust nothing you hear on the news or read in a newspaper. My former spouse and I spent years in the news biz; believe me, trust nothing.

I think it is worth noting that the writier of the story did not say the diver went three miles in 45 minutes. He quoted Spenser Slate saying it. If it's wrong, it's Slate's wrongness, not the reporter's.

People are always so quick to kill the messenger.

This is a tough crowd. The diver that did not use the line in a current (purposely/ or accidentally) was smart enough to have a signaling tube.

My kids and I do drift dives often enough, that they were stocking stuffers one Christmas.

cgvmer:
The diver that did not use the line in a current (purposely/ or accidentally) was smart enough to have a signaling tube.

Yes, after he screwed up several times, he stopped screwing up and used his head.

With a tag line, there's no need to swim against the current. Currents on the Bibb can be so strong no one can swim against it with any fins.

Agree 100%. And even then, there's a perfectly safe way to do the dive but it's extremely rare to see any operator do a hot drop and pick-up divers under a SMB or liftbag in the Keys.
That said, it's SOP 100 miles away in Pompano Beach (at least with the ops I dive with).

This is a tough crowd. The diver that did not use the line in a current (purposely/ or accidentally) was smart enough to have a signaling tube.

My kids and I do drift dives often enough, that they were stocking stuffers one Christmas.
:thumb: I dove Jupiter last weekend and was SHOCKED that the diver next to me, who claimed 20 years experience, did not have one. Then, he was too cheap to go into the store to buy one. A friend lent hers to him. Very nice of her but I would not have done that. With my luck, I'd end up needing the lent signalling tube. (Off topic, he was a horrid diver, he was "bicycling" vertically throughout both dives, stirring up sand. If he's been diving for 20 years, I think he made no dives between his initial Basic and last weekend!)

I think it is worth noting that the writier of the story did not say the diver went three miles in 45 minutes. He quoted Spenser Slate saying it. If it's wrong, it's Slate's wrongness, not the reporter's.

People are always so quick to kill the messenger.
I see that you have never been misquoted by a reporter. Not saying that Slate was, but there's a damn good chance of it.

I'm just waiting for someone to say when he was in distress that he was MOF . :D
Or that he should have deployed his white Hefty bag. :rofl3:

Okay, I'm confused. The diver came up . . . one would assume up the mooring line? And somehow, some way, missed the line.

Then, he would try to swim for it. How long does someone swim before they figure out they aren't going to make it? Wouldn't they still see the boat, but it's not getting closer?

I mean, wouldn't you surface and start blowing your whistle for the boat? How do you get so far away without somehow notifying the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom