Diver lost in Cozumel today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We dove Coz a year ago this time and my gf got her OW.

We dove Columbia, tormentors, palencar gardens and Delila. My notes say that delila was "wicked fast current" but also the best dive of the trip. We never had any significant downwellings. So ymmv.

Last edited:
I was in Cozumel when this accident occurred, just returned Thursday the 29th of March. Heard about it early morning from my best bud divemaster at Dive Palancar. My last dive the previous Tuesday was at Palancar Gardens and I found myself at 102 ft with an EXTREMELY heavy watercolumn pressing me down on the sand--I could not just swim up and had to inflate my BCD to make an ascent to shallower water. I took Wednesday off but caught discussions of terrible visibility and ripping currents from other divers. This will not dter me from returning to Cozumel in June, September and November of this year, however.

Riviera Maya & Playa del Carmen are not drift dive locations.

This is extremely inaccurate. I've been diving at Tortuga off PDC several times when the current was faster than anything I've seen on Coz. I have also dove Punto Venado several times and experienced the same thing. The thing that I would say is safer about diving PDC is that they are platform reefs instead of walls...

If you want drift diving, you go to Cozumel. If not, you go to PDC. (If you're talking Mexican Caribbean.) Yes, you can find non-drift in CZM and drift in PDC, but if you're looking for a preponderance of one, you know which to choose. Not sure what your dives were like at Tortuga, but when I dived it, it wasn't in the same ball park as what has been happening in CZM the last few weeks. Sometimes 7½ mph and it felt faster!

Any other drift divers prefer Playa del Carmen to Cozumel for drift?

This is extremely inaccurate. I've been diving at Tortuga off PDC several times when the current was faster than anything I've seen on Coz. I have also dove Punto Venado several times and experienced the same thing. The thing that I would say is safer about diving PDC is that they are platform reefs instead of walls...

I don't think it's misleading - it's the perspective of a DM who was at Santa Rosa at the same time. It's apparently this person's opinion that with all the dramatic down currents, one could have caused the diver to not make it to the surface. Since even the diver's husband/dive buddy didn't see her make it to the surface, no one knows what happened. On the flight home today, I sat in front of a man who was diving with Sand Dollar all week. They had a DM on their boat that was on Santa Rosa at the time of the diver's disappearance. His story was identical to the one I heard from another source: the husband did not alert the DM and the woman was not discovered missing until everyone boarded the boat. Of course, every person is going to have his/her own recollection of the day, and until we find the diver and her tanks, we probably aren't going to know what actually happened.

Given the conditions over the last ten days, I find it surprising that two new divers would tackle Santa Rosa. IMHO, even in calm seas that is not the ideal site for inexperienced drift divers. Regardless of conditions, gear and experience, if her buddy did not ascend with her, whether he notified the DM or not, that's where I see the biggest break down in "procedure".

Just yesterday I listened to a DM brief two new divers (she actually had to show them how to use their inflators). She told them if they had any problems underwater, to come to her and she would help them. NOTHING about sticking together, ascending together, etc. I was shocked after what we've heard in the last few days. Ended up on the second dive that the man had some problem and ascended on his own. The DMs hovered as if they weren't sure what to do. I told my husband and the ascending diver's girlfriend to buddy up and that I would go up with the man. When I indicated to the DMs that I would cut my dive short to ascend with the diver, they made it clear that they were taking care of it. In a minute, a boat pulled up, so I went back to my husband and the girlfriend, but watched to make sure the diver made it onto the boat. Still, neither DM went up with the diver, neither surfaced to check on his problem and possibly bring him back down for a safety stop.

Near the end of this same dive, my husband was getting LOA, so one DM told him to ascend with the other DM. I buddied up with another diver. Near the end of their safety stop, the DM ran OOA. (My husband thought she was asking him if he was OOA...) Instead of grabbing his octopus, she grabbed his inflater and took a breath from that. You know what happens when you take air out of a BC, right? So here is my husband with less than 200 left and the DM is emptying his vest because as she later said, she couldn't see his octopus (same place as always and it's bright yellow). He is a very thin guy, so he doesn't float on his own. If I had any idea that she was so low, I would have ascended with him instead of trusting her to go with him.

Not sure why I told that whole story, but anything can happen on a dive. Some things are more likely to happen on some sites under some conditions. Having a skilled and knowledgeable buddy to help you if you can't help yourself is key, regardless of how the trouble starts. Divers should know that they are responsible for themselves and then their buddies, but I can see how new divers could be misled if they received a briefing like the one I heard. I am absolutely NOT implying that the missing woman and her husband were so advised. Just reiterating that we dont' know what happened, but that hearing different perspectives might help us better piece it together. Then we can try to learn from this awful incident.

It's misleading because the husband alerted the dm after she said she needed to go up & when he turned around he couldn't find her &that when he reached the surface he couldn't find her. He didn't finish the dive before he realized she was missing &the he didn't leave her to ascend by herself.

I have a couple of perspectives to offer to this discussion. First, my wife and I were certified in 1997 in Cozumel on Christmas Eve at Fiesta Americana Dive House. We spent that week doing the first dives of our lives. Cozumel is one of favorite dive destinations, having just returned from our third trip from there last night.

Second, we were diving Columbia Reef at the time the diver was lost north of us on Santa Rosa reef. We were again using Dive House out of Fiesta Americana. One of our boats assisted with the search operation on the return trip to Dive House.

We all have opinions on responsibilities of divers, dive buddies, and dive masters. My opinion is that ALL diving is inherently dangerous. When you are certified you are trained to handle most emergency situations if you remember what you were taught and practice it. If you don't want to participate in a potentially life-ending sport, don't take up SCUBA or flying. Take up snorkeling and bicycling, although I am not sure a snorkler or cyclist is any safer than a diver or pilot.

One of the things we were all taught was that you cannot assume that every DM will be watching you at all times, will be there to save you in an emergency, or will surface with anyone in the group who chooses or needs to surface in the middle of a dive. They taught us to stay with your dive buddy no matter what, and if you lose them, to look for them for a couple minutes and then surface to see if they are on top. They also taught us about all the optional safety equipment... safety sausage, compass, air horn, etc. Many divers do not use any of those items. It is not the responsibility of a dive master to assure that they do, nor to surface with a single diver while leaving the group unattended, unless they are aware of a true emergency. This of course all changes if you have a dive instructor, who has more responsibility to watch out for learning students.

I dove the first ten dives of my life in Coz and felt safe every dive. I am personally of the opinion that, oustide of serious weather/current issues, drift diving is as safe or safer than trying to get everyone back to a moored dive boat. I have been on live-aboard dives, including night dives, out in open water with such strong currents that you never left the mooring line, barely able to hang on with one hand and hold your mask on your head with the other. On the dives with strong current on all three trips to Cozumel, we had a DM in front and another at the rear of our group trying to keep us more or less together. On other dives with a smaller group we only had one DM along. I felt safe in all cases. The DMs and the OP on shore alerted us to strong currents this week and we chose to dive anyway. However after 250 dives (not a lot) I do know what a strong current is, have a safety sausage, an air horn, and a dive buddy who never leaves my sight.

On the day the diver was lost this past week, we were told that the currents were unpredictable and had been stronger than normal. We chose to dive anyway. A couple of us wanted to dive Columbia, the DM explained again the currents and all divers agreed to chance it. As soon as we descended and headed for the reef, a water columnr came down the sand flat towards us raising columns of sand along the way and causing a white out. Rather than abort the dive, our two DMs signalled to get behind the reef ASAP, which we all did. At one point I felt a down current and did inflate my BC and kicked some to stay above our agreed upon floor of 80 ft. T

They took us through swim-throughs and into some caves to avoid the current as much as possible. Towards the end of the dive, we had to cross the sand flat again and all of us followed the lead of our DM and essentially swam just above the sand, pulling ourselves along with our hands for extra stability when needed. We stayed together as a group and made it to a calmer spot on the shore side of the reef where we could surface. Not the most advanced dive I have been on by a long shot, but was pretty high up on that list. I thought it was a great learning experience. I also thought our DMs did a great job leading us. Our second dive, an hour later, was almost calm on a shallower reef closer to Santa Rosa.

On the way back we saw the chopper and one of our boats joined the search effort.

I did not feel the down pull until at about 80 ft. Certainly did not feel it at 30' or even at 60'. We did have strong currents from the time we started our descent, however. I don't see much evidence that a downpull kept the missing diver from surfacing. While we may never know, the circumstantial evidence in my opinion points more to a panic attack than anything else, probably due to the strong current. I know what panic can do to a diver and it certainly greatly magnifies the problems getting to and even staying on the surface, espcially for a new diver. We were all taught this before we were allowed to dive.

This was a terrible loss for the family, and my prayers go out to them. But we should all use these situations as a learning opportunity. Here is what I took away from it:

1. Plan your dive and DIVE YOUR PLAN. Aborting a dive in open water in strong currents unless there is a true emergency, exponentially adds to the danger for you, your buddy, and the entire dive team. Follow the plan and follow your DM.
2. Stay with your buddy. I have read conflicting accounts of whether the husband told the DM his wife ascended alone or not. Maybe he did and the DM didn't understand his signals, or felt that he needed to stay with they group. But either way, he let her ascend alone. From what we heard he felt the obligation to let the group know she was ascending. We don't know why she did, but it easily could have been panic due to strong currents. No way would I let my wife go up alone, ever, unless we were within 50 ft of the boat on a calm day. Certainly not if she was possibly panicking, and certainly not in a strong current. I am not ctiricizing him and he will be second guessing himself the rest of his life. But it is an critical learning opportunity for all of us. If my buddy wanted to go up and I wanted to tell the DM (which I would try to do), I would take her with me. If she wasn't able, I would go up with her. Stay with your buddy!
3. If you are ever uncomfortable with a dive plan or conditions, having issues with your ears (like I do) or think you may have a hard time if you get separated from the group, talk to the DM before the dive. Tell him you want to stay close to him/her and ask them to keep an eye out for you and your buddy if you think you need that. I have been on al least 50 dives when I told my buddy, stay close to me and let's both stay close to the DM, and told the DM we would be doing that. His responsibility is to the group as a whole, but if you let them know they will try to watch out for you.
4. Always keep emergency signaling equipment with you for an emergency. Tank banger, sausage, horn, knife, compass, etc.

I would recommend Cozumel as one of the most beautiful dive destinations in the Carribbean and will definitely be going back. I was happy getting my OW cert there with my wife and would recommend that as well, but stay close to your DM and let them know you are a newbie. Then, dive your plan, stay with your buddy, and be prepared for any situation.

The original posting had nothing to do with the DM being alerted or not. It only addressed the down currents experienced by other divers at Santa Rosa that morning. It is one possible explanation for the diver's sudden disappearance.

If one diver needs to make an emergency ascent, the buddy is supposed to accompany him/her. If the DM is right there, then of course it makes sense to point out that the team is ascending. If the choice is going to find the DM or ascending with the buddy, the latter is the correct course of action.

As I said in an earlier post, I actually heard a DM giving contradictory instructions to a couple of new divers this week (different dive operation). It would be hard for many new divers to ignore the DM's instructions in favor of what they were taught during their OW course. So if in the pre-dive briefing the DM told them to come to him or notify him before ascending as a team, I can see how the buddy would try to follow those instructions. Only those on the boat know what they were told. And it's possible that different dive teams received different instructions based on ability and experience.

I'm trying to find mitigating circumstances to explain why a diver would let his/her buddy go to the surface alone. It happens all the time, but it's always wrong - because even though most times divers make it back on the boat just fine, sometimes they don't.

It's misleading because the husband alerted the dm after she said she needed to go up & when he turned around he couldn't find her &that when he reached the surface he couldn't find her. He didn't finish the dive before he realized she was missing &the he didn't leave her to ascend by herself.

I'm trying to find mitigating circumstances to explain why a diver would let his/her buddy go to the surface alone. It happens all the time, but it's always wrong - because even though most times divers make it back on the boat just fine, sometimes they don't.

I have already said that we have contradictory information on what actually happened on this dive, so my response is generic in nature and does not express an opinion on what actually happened on this dive.

Let's say I am a pretty new diver on a dive in which I have been told to follow the DM and notify him of any needs, such as ascending before the planned group ascent. My buddy signals a need to ascend immediately and starts to ascend.

OK, I am in a real conflict. No matter what I do, I am wrong.

It seems to me that I would be very likely to make an attempt to notify the DM and then hurry back to join my buddy. That seems a logical choice to me, and if that is what happened, I can't blame the diver for doing that.

If you want drift diving, you go to Cozumel. If not, you go to PDC. (If you're talking Mexican Caribbean.) Yes, you can find non-drift in CZM and drift in PDC, but if you're looking for a preponderance of one, you know which to choose. Not sure what your dives were like at Tortuga, but when I dived it, it wasn't in the same ball park as what has been happening in CZM the last few weeks. Sometimes 7½ mph and it felt faster!

Any other drift divers prefer Playa del Carmen to Cozumel for drift?

Again, I disagree. You can have current or lack of at either place. Been there, Done that. Think about it, they're opposite sides of the same channel.

The differences I see between the two are that PDC is platform reefs instead of walls, generally shallower dives, and the lack of hard coral on that side of the channel. It's almost all softer corals and turtle grass. Also, the water is almost green as opposed to the brilliant blue of Cozumel.

I much prefer Cozumel, but the current is not a deciding factor in that.

I don't understand this part of the story either. If your buddy wants to surface that early in a dive it means trouble. Your buddy comes first before the idea of notifying the dive guide PERIOD. Why did he feel letting the dive guide know they were going up was more important than keeping an eye on his dive buddy who happened to be his wife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom