Diver Medical Examiner’s Evaluation for over 45?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's pretty clear if you checked nothing on the next page with an *, which is what (per the bottom of the page) triggers a requirement for physician clearance, then you shouldn't have to get that clearance.

Unfortunately, there's another way to demand your way besides being right, and that's having power, and power often trumps right. It's not just 'their operation, their rules,' it's 'their operation, however they insist on interpreting their rules, even if they're wrong.'

If you booked, there's a decent change you paid a deposit already. It's not always just a matter of switching to the operator down the street.

What should happen is you explain how you're right politely, they think it over and realize this and don't require it, and problem solved both for you and future divers > 45.

What likely will happen is they stubbornly adhere to their misunderstanding, you end up paying extra money, time and inconvenience to get some provider to talk to you a bit, look over you and fill out the paper work, and in the future you are inclined to choose other liveaboard providers.

Speaking of which, please tell us how this works out, and if they persist in this demand, tell us who it is.

Richard.

I need a diver medical every two years for AAUS purposes. In "off" years I take the sport diver form to the doctor when I have my annual physical. I am then covered for any such silly demands from operators. Been doing so for the last 20 years for the reason you cite. If you have a current medical, send your doctor the form. Chances are the doctor will sign it with nary a glance at your lasy physical

IMO, you are wrong.

At the bottom of page 1 the first sentence under Participant Signature states, "If you answered NO to all 10 questions above, a medical evaluation is not required."

You said you answered yes to being over 45. It's their pool their rules. You have two options, get the medical or find another pool.
while you're correct in the "their pool, their rules" issue, you're wrong on the medical form - over 45 is a trigger for additional questions. the way you answer those dictates if you need medical clearance.

the simplest thing everyone can do is to get a form signed whether you need it or not at your annual physical. As someone noted, some countries and some operators require a medical form all the time.

while you're correct in the "their pool, their rules" issue, you're wrong on the medical form - over 45 is a trigger for additional questions. the way you answer those dictates if you need medical clearance.
After reading the form again for the 5th or 6th time, I've concluded it is confusing. If I were in the OP's fins, I'd ask scuba board members for a recommendation for another dive operator at that location.

the simplest thing everyone can do is to get a form signed whether you need it or not at your annual physical. As someone noted, some countries and some operators require a medical form all the time.
This is my modus operandi

After reading the form again for the 5th or 6th time, I've concluded it is confusing. If I were in the OP's fins, I'd ask scuba board members for a recommendation for another dive operator at that location.
I'm sorry you are confused by a rather simple form.

I'm sorry you are confused by a rather simple form.
One part of the form says, medical not needed. Another part of the form says medical needed. There are parts that the OP fits into between these two statements that makes this form badly written.

You can see why it doesn’t have the crystal mark from these people:-

One part of the form says, medical not needed. Another part of the form says medical needed.
I'm sorry you also are confused by a rather simple form. Try reading the entire form, paying attention to the footnoted explanations, and not jumping around and cherry-picking things you want to complain about.

One part of the form says, medical not needed.
And if that doesn't apply, you simply need to read further. There is more than one path to "not needed".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom