Diver missing in the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The items were found in a fairly straight line with the current and I believe the order was weight belt, camera, BCD and then mask. The fins were never recovered.
The buckles were undone and not broken or torn.
Only the back of the tank showed any signs of mouthing.
He had very little sleep and was very sick the night before and through the morning.
He assured everyone he was OK to dive.
He was known to have a heart condition.

I can't reveal my sources, but they are very close to the situation.
Was the gear found a nautical mile from where the boat called it in?

You would expect the weight belt to be closest to the boat...first item to be shed, and least likely to be dragged much by current on the bottom. Camera and BC would be expected to drift with the current, and as we all know, photographers would not be quick to let go of a camera.

Sent from Tapatalk and my Galaxy Note 3

At GrouperDawg:

As Net Doc noted, this is where the hypocrisy enters the picture.

There is no doubt in my mind that the best way to attract sharks is by spear-fishing. In fact, we usually have 1 or 2 spear guns with us in addition to the bait crates. The struggling fish really gets the sharks jacked-up. Perhaps its the fresh food and that's also why some of the sharks spit out our previously frozen chum; or, a struggling and thrashing fish is far more consistent with the shark's evolution, i.e., they instinctively know that dinner is near when a fish is struggling and thrashing and they get really excited. So, we almost always spear fish in addition to the bait crates.

And, the last serious bite in Palm Beach County was on a spearo with a recently shot or dead fish in his possession.

So, have you attempted to make spear-fishing illegal? If not, why not? There is no doubt that the spearos have changed shark behavior -- why is this ok? Clearly, spearing is more dangerous than shark feeding; why are you not trying to stop it?

Let the hypocrisy begin.

I assume you agree that Mr. Petty knew the risk of shark feeding; and, that he clearly accepted that risk by booking a trip on the Shear Water. Am I correct? If yes, why is that a problem? As I've stated above, there is no doubt in my mind that someone will get bit and die on our shark feeding dives in Florida; it's inevitable; but, we all know the risk and we accept it.

Sharks are not killing machines. If they were, there would be a lot more deaths and bites. It is a very rare occurrence -- especially a bite to a diver.

You state that it is likely that Mr. Petty was killed by a shark. Completely disagree. In all the years at Tiger Beach and with all the numerous dive operators putting divers in the water with big sharks and chum, only one death has occurred -- Mr. Groh in February 2008. That's it. Only one! Thus, being in the water with sharks and chum does not appear to be that dangerous at all; if it were, there would be a lot more serious bites and deaths. But, again, only one!

Bringing the Indianapolis into this discussion is ridiculous; as is any situation not involving a diver. Sharks are looking for things splashing on the surface of the water; things that splash on the surface are dying, wounded, or land animals that got washed out to sea, i.e., all easy meals.

Note: In one of the recent articles I read on this matter, one of the family members or friends stated that Mr. Petty researched everything; thus, Mr. Petty clearly knew what he was getting himself into and the risk. Do you agree?

One more note: In my posts above, I predicted that a motorcyclist would die within the next 7 to 10 days somewhere between Jupiter and Miami. I heard on the news this morning that there was a motorcycle death in I think Lake Worth last night; why is this ok and no movement to ban motorcycles? Because people accept the risk of riding a motorcycle and they are free to make their own decisions? And, I will predict that within the next 7 to 10 days, another motorcyclist will die somewhere between Jupiter and Miami.

Also, I reaffirm my prediction that at least one diver will die next week during mini-season. Mini-season has got to be one of the most dangerous events not only in Florida but the world. At least 25 to 30 deaths in the last 10 years. Why is this ok and in the words of the FWC apparently not a "public safety issue"? Anyone trying to get it banned? If not, why not?

THANK YOU. The knee-jerk conjecture on this thread is beginning to boil my blood a bit. I've been on the Shearwater twice myself, and found these to be some of the SAFEST dives in my entire career, having swum with various sharks all over the world....

THANK YOU. The knee-jerk conjecture on this thread is beginning to boil my blood a bit. I've been on the Shearwater twice myself, and found these to be some of the SAFEST dives in my entire career, having swum with various sharks all over the world....

Any time shark diving is involved, you have knee-jerk conjecture. That was one of the things that pushed me over the fence towards defending the feeds done up in Jupiter; I'm wary of anything that might have long-term impacts on shark behavior but the amount of screaming over it was getting ludicrous. Right now it's business as usual on the Jupiter Wreck Trek; everybody's out there diving the goliath aggregations with no problems. The bulls and hammerheads packed up and left months ago despite the continuing handouts and it seems like the tigers have petered out too. What's left is the local girls' club of lemon sharks, and we'll see if they too move on in the coming months.

Again, I think if we had had the exact same set of circumstances crop up with a missing diver at some run-of-the-mill dive, the possibility that the diver was attacked by a shark pre-mortem wouldn't even be on the table.

I was forwarded a social media post which indicates that a female diver was lost at tiger beach, possibly today. Anybody know if this is true or not?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom