Diver missing on Oriskany 10/22/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you do not descend any further these also will not need dil to be added.

I agree on many dives. However, I find with my deep trimix CCR dives I will use wing or drysuit bouyancy to do things like move from the props up to the deck and when doing a O2 flush and achieve min loop volume at 20ft. Additionally, if I am doing a ascent without a line to aid then touch ups on bouyancy are needed to maintain/adjust stops.

John

What do you consider a deep trimix dive. The props on The O are just below 200' if I recall correctly. To me above 200' is above average for a CCR diver. Between 200-300' is becoming the average depth on trimix CCR.

I agree on many dives. However, I find with my deep trimix CCR dives I will use wing or drysuit bouyancy to do things like move from the props up to the deck and when doing a O2 flush and achieve min loop volume at 20ft. Additionally, if I am doing a ascent without a line to aid then touch ups on bouyancy are needed to maintain/adjust stops.

John

I agree with you on that. Having no dil is a pain to deal with. I am looking at it as an emergency situation or even just being out of dil and trying to do deco stops. It can be done. That being said the dil being empty was not a big issue as it may seem to others who dive OC. There an empty tank is a major problem.

Last edited:
What do you consider a deep trimix dive. The props on The O are just below 200' if I recall correctly. To me above 200' is above average for a CCR diver. Between 200-300' is becoming the average depth on trimix CCR.

The bottom at the props is 220fsw give or take. I made a visit there in mid Sept.

I personally use trimix for any dives below 100ft with a CCR. I have found that the effects of Narcosis happen shallower when diving a rebreather. I used the word "Deep" only to be consistent with the audience reading on Scubaboard. I personally approach every technical dive with the same planning and risk assessment of which depth is only one of many considerations.

John

I personally use trimix for any dives below 100ft with a CCR. I have found that the effects of Narcosis happen shallower when diving a rebreather. I used the word "Deep" only to be consistent with the audience reading on Scubaboard. I personally approach every technical dive with the same planning and risk assessment of which depth is only one of many considerations.

John

Well put John
and I don't care what you do to a sport kiss 200' is pushing the limits, remember everything works until it doesn't.
Kevin

An empty cyinder of Diluent IS a problem. "Just" connecting offboard bailout may just not happen fast enough. If you need to lower the PO2 with a Dil flush it's imperative to do it with the push of a button.
On the deep comment, amazing what difference He makes even in the 140' range. I dove air dil one day in warm, clear water with no current and felt just fine. Did the same dive the next day on 21/35 and was amazed at the difference.

An empty cyinder of Diluent IS a problem. "Just" connecting offboard bailout may just not happen fast enough. If you need to lower the PO2 with a Dil flush it's imperative to do it with the push of a button.
On the deep comment, amazing what difference He makes even in the 140' range. I dove air dil one day in warm, clear water with no current and felt just fine. Did the same dive the next day on 21/35 and was amazed at the difference.

I was not saying that using HE above 200' is not normal. I also use it below 100'. I was just asking what he considered deep since it is a relative term.

Running out of Dil being a problem is an opinion. Yes you would never want to run out but even doing a dil flush and running out can be managed. If you run out of dil and panic then yes it is a problem. Or believe running out of dil drastically hurts your chances of survival is a problem. After reading posts from people who knew the diver I would say he was experienced enough to deal with that issue.

I do have a question. After a ccr diver passes away is there anything that would activate the ADV (if equipped) or any other reason the dil would empty without diver input?

I do have a question. After a ccr diver passes away is there anything that would activate the ADV (if equipped) or any other reason the dil would empty without diver input?

Yes. Take a look at the Kiss manual and ADV design and it will become apparent to someone with your rebreather experience.

I once had the opportunity to float around on the surface in the Gulf of Thailand for about 8 hours and when I got back onboard the boat I found that my DIL tank was empty.

John

Allthought this story ended in tragedy, I have learned something about this Forum or board. I read some of the post, but rarely reply to articles relating to tragedy..The divers who post on this forum for the most part bring real value and compassion to the sport of diving.. I can truely say, I am glad I joined and after reading Mikes account of what happened, I feel the pain of a lost fellow diver:(

Last edited:
Yes. Take a look at the Kiss manual and ADV design and it will become apparent to someone with your rebreather experience.

After looking at the manual and agreeing that yes the tank would empty how much does that effect the empathizes placed on the empty tank?

I once had the opportunity to float around on the surface in the Gulf of Thailand for about 8 hours and when I got back onboard the boat I found that my DIL tank was empty.

I am guessing that was on a KISS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom