Diver missing on Oriskany 10/22/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously ? On a tech trip ?
:shocked2:

We all had SMBs with appropriate reels, which I wasn't about to use for penetration. And the dives that were planned were not penetration dives so no need for lights. Why is that surprising? If you've ever dived the Oriskany you'd know there is no need for lights unless penetration is involved.

No it was a Meg. But I have also owned a Kiss in the past and an Inspiration.

Is that because your wing was not staying inflated? I can't see any reason to use dil on the surface otherwise.

Is that because your wing was not staying inflated? I can't see any reason to use dil on the surface otherwise.

No. I really do not know the answer since I was using the Meg along with two bailout tanks as a improvised life raft for 4 or 5 hours. In all the excitement I did not think to shutoff the Dil and O2 tank. My logical guess would be that the rough seas and up and down motion of the improvised life raft was causing the ADV to fire and the OPV to vent. It was the least of my problems at the time.

John

Reactions: Jax
Posted here: Pete Duffin

RIP, Pete.

nevermind

That is the diver's page, Don.

We all had SMBs with appropriate reels, which I wasn't about to use for penetration. And the dives that were planned were not penetration dives so no need for lights. Why is that surprising? If you've ever dived the Oriskany you'd know there is no need for lights unless penetration is involved.

Being up here in N.J., I always have two lights on me. Sometimes three. Even in the islands, two. And a wreck reel 99% of the time. Especially on a wreck. But hey, everyone is different, does stuff different. What ever gets the job done for you. Just sounded 'strange' to me that a tech boat wouldn't have a light.

The Florida panhandle gulf is different than NJ. I've done dives off NJ and lights are necessary there. When I dive the Oriskany outside of training classes I bring reels/spools and lights. I was finishing up an Advanced Recreational Trimix class on this trip and penetration was not planned. We were at the Oriskany because it's at the depth I need for this class. I just don't see a point in bringing gear I'm not going to need or use. And lights and reels (other than a 150' reel/spool to shoot a bag) were not needed for our dives that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom