diver photos--not in vogue anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its a very good question - I remember reading a Marty Snyderman column a couple of years ago were he said that was the only type of shot he took as it was the one wanted by the dive mags. Yet the dive mags seem to be using them less and less (in asia anyway) from a quick scan of my recent mag purchases. I wonder if its the same in the states?

Maybe its a sign of the times - we are starting to prefer fish to people GRIN

Interesting.....I am reading at this very moment a Jim Church book on composition.

I am a "people photographer" by trade and actually found myself shooting "Divers" and not macro on my last trip to Coz. The DM wanted me to shoot some macro..I know this guy and he actually see's in macro! Told him I was taking people shots....

Guess who got a tip? :)

Ron

Actually interesting topic.

Divers in the photos sell very well for the standard dive mags, they tend to use wide angle featuring divers and that is what sells the most, hands down. I am bad at that part of the program and always say i will start using models more but i never do.
More specialized mags like Fathoms don't care so much about models, they want nice shots of everything.

To sell to the wider public, its the marine life that sells not the people.
Many of the top pros i know always travel with models and use them on most of the shots.

Tis a well known fact that the biggest selling photos for UW are:
Sharks
Dolphins/Whales
Turtles
Diver Interaction.

Nudibranchs and leaf fish will sell from time to time but usually best left for photo competitions and portfolios, rarely do they get more than a half page sized photo in a mag.

Mike Veitch:
Actually interesting topic.

Many of the top pros i know always travel with models and use them on most of the shots.

How do I get modeling job? :D
My black wetsuit looks very slimming, especially next to my usual dive buddies, just don't use any fisheye lens on me :)

Actually, I like taking photos of divers...

Divers doing their diver thing.. to an excess, but the shots give, IMNSHO, a feel for
what it's actually like UW. With natural light or a close up I think It's kewl...

http://www.poolesdive.com/gallerys/0409Roatan_Single/index_5.htm

and of course in the Emerald Seas of the Great Nor'West... it's a little harder but I still think fun...

http://www.poolesdive.com/gallerys/alki/index.htm

So, yeah, I like taking them.. probably not exactly what you were speaking about as they are not modeling by sticking their head in the mouth of a shark, but in a natural setting.. this is what I see when I'm underwater.. heheh.. be it good or bad..

Also, I, for the most part mistakenly, think the divers would like photos of themselves UW..
But each time I send them several, don't even get an Acknowledgement much less a Thanks ... so thinking it's not very popular as this thread would suggest...

Just keep on shoot'n em.. heheh.. as I like it... and I feel helps Non-Divers relate to the natural wonders of the UW World..
More divers? More Pictures!!! ;-))

You also have to remember the professional shots are somewhat pre-determined on the surface before going down. Professional photographers think WAY ahead of us hacks!!

I remember to bring my beautiful model with me, I just don't remember to talk with her about what we are going to look for and signals on where to position her once we find them.

[
Also, I, for the most part mistakenly, think the divers would like photos of themselves UW..
But each time I send them several, don't even get an Acknowledgement much less a Thanks ... so thinking it's not very popular as this thread would suggest...

Just keep on shoot'n em.. heheh.. as I like it... and I feel helps Non-Divers relate to the natural wonders of the UW World..
More divers? More Pictures!!! ;-))[/QUOTE]

Nice Photos,I allways love a photo of me at depth,Good way to work on your rig,bring in the extra hose length,work on my trim,and so on,Wow the dives in the sound and the Islands bring back past trips out to places like "Friday Harbour" and so on,And from what I hear they are not like they were 30 years ago!
Dive safe,and If you ever got a shot of me mixing up the bottom,I would for sure thank you! Could be just that macho diver thing going!
Brad

I've always thought the best diver pictures are ones on wrecks. They help put the size of the wreck into perspective.

Maybe this is why you don't see a lot of divers in the shots.

11959MakeMyDay.jpg

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom