DiveRite Optima CM upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I am a very happy OptimaCM diver and I am starting this thread to keep track and share experience on the upgrades that DiveRite is constantly doing on the unit. For example, it's rumored that DiveRite is working on a completely new head that integrates all the batteries – I am looking forward to that and to all other upgrades that Diverite will be introducing.

New O2 connector hose is available (this is the green hose that connects the O2 regulator to the Y-valve). The version I bought last year had a regular inflator hose attachment and a small plastic spacer to ensure you do not disconnect it by mistake.

1690870379834.png

The new version gets rid of the spacer and replaces it with a screw directly on the hose which I like much better.
1690870089969.png

1690870111469.png

I see that you can buy a "Tower upgrade kit". Does anybody know what kind of upgrade this is?

Hi all,

I am a very happy OptimaCM diver and I am starting this thread to keep track and share experience on the upgrades that DiveRite is constantly doing on the unit. For example, it's rumored that DiveRite is working on a completely new head that integrates all the batteries – I am looking forward to that and to all other upgrades that Diverite will be introducing.

Wait whaaat ? So one box instead of two now ? Hopefully fully geared towards solid state senors, otherwise naaah :wink:

I see that you can buy a "Tower upgrade kit". Does anybody know what kind of upgrade this is?

I remember asking one of the Choptima dealers about it, but I was told it is something for older revisions, latest (mine is also from summer 2022), have no need for this.

Wait whaaat ? So one box instead of two now ? Hopefully fully geared towards solid state senors, otherwise naaah :wink:

It would be great with no boxes, just the head inside the sorb unit.

It that a shut-off on your O2 line? Why?
This has like killed people at least on mCCR, afaik.

That is how the unit is sold. I am getting rid of the shut-off valve now and using the procedure described on the other thread in case I have a solenoid stuck open failure and want to keep flying the unit manual.
Oh wow. Didn't know that. I wonder why they do it, especially on an eCCR.

Not sure and now that I know the unit quite well, I agree that it doesn’t make it safer nor easier to operate in case of solenoid failure (which was the reason I had not removed it right after MOD1 class)

It would be great with no boxes, just the head inside the sorb unit.

Hmm have mixed feelings there - from one side would love a smaller (as in shorter) Choppy. Right now it does sometimes feel "too long" as in that darn o2 cylinder is right below the waist...not that enjoyable when walking up with the rig on and having thighs massaged by it (aka end of the dive in places like Gozo, where one has to often do a lovely hike uphill). And a similar chest mounted CCR, albeit "m" one, Triton, somehow seems even smaller, while having bigger lungs.
On the other hand those two round boxes do not bother me the slightest, they slide in perfectly and are completely out of the way. In fact i somehow like those, as being separate and not not part of the loop itself, the most likely part to flood, somehow makes me feel better.
But i DO hate those two black cables. They are both too short and too long at the same time.

What i do hope is that they will finally allow solid state cells, then i am on my way to DR service center a day after its announced. Otherwise it might be "meh"

That is how the unit is sold. I am getting rid of the shut-off valve now and using the procedure described on this other thread (Recommended options on new rebreather (Optima CM)) in case I have a solenoid stuck open failure and want to keep flying the unit manual.

Perhaps a silly question, but can you send me some pics as to how did you route those ? Looked at that topic but I still have doubts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom