DiveRite Optima CM upgrades

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will post here pictures in the coming week
Awesome, thanks! No rush, currently off diving anywyas. Trying to get Nerd serviced under warranty since June and literally getting nowhere with Shearwater so I guess it will take some more months.

You missed the ADV delete / MAV only “upgrade”.

Edit: also missing the pull string opv option.

You missed the ADV delete / MAV only “upgrade”.

Edit: also missing the pull string opv option.
I like the ADV on descent. Once at the bottom, I close the shut off valve to manage minimum loop volume. What is the benefit of getting rid of it?

This thread is about upgrades and options for the CM right?

I’m not telling anyone how to dive it, just wanted to add the other choices you missed.

Here’s another; if for whatever reason someone needed to plug one of the fittings on the counterlungs, mcmaster 7919N129 is a perfect fit. I’d prefer Delrin but it’s an OTS part so good enough.

Mcmaster also has snap on caps / thread protectors that cost almost nothing. I use them to protect the threads and for sterilizing the counter lungs, I’ll have to go find the part number…

I’m not telling anyone how to dive it, just wanted to add the other choices you missed.

Here’s another; if for whatever reason someone needed to plug one of the fittings on the counterlungs, mcmaster 7919N129 is a perfect fit. I’d prefer Delrin but it’s an OTS part so good enough.

Mcmaster also has snap on caps / thread protectors that cost almost nothing. I use them to protect the threads and for sterilizing the counter lungs, I’ll have to go find the part number…

For sure – I am curious to hear from people who removed the ADV on the reasons. Keen to learn something new.

Please share here if you find the part numbers. Very nice add.

I went to the MAV for several reasons:

I could never get it tuned to where I liked it; I was always turning it off at the bottom anyways, the thickness of the diaphragm is scary imo, and I like standardizing parts for spares.

The O2 MAV broke on me on my last trip. I was able to repair the unit by moving my DIL MAV to the O2 side and putting the ADV back on the DIL side (I had brought it as a spare). I now have matching DIL MAVs on both sides and I carry a single spare.

As always, YMMV

For sure – I am curious to hear from people who removed the ADV on the reasons. Keen to learn something new.

I have both, my unit came with MAV, but I've used ADV as well. The problem I've found with ADV is it was harder to maintain minimum loop volume (which can lead to buoyancy issues and waste of gas).

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I'd recommend anyone start with MAV instead of ADV. It's additional buttons to press and things to think about. It's like driving a manual transmission car. Fine for someone experienced, but adds complexity for beginners. I learned with MAV, so it's not like it's impossible, but everyone is different.

It's a cheap mod, try both configurations see which you like more. Maybe you have dive buddies who can lend you the parts - it's a quick swap.

EDIT: P.S. Manually maintaining the loop volume also means you can't 'accidentally' change depths without the additional feedback.

Back
Top Bottom