DiveRite Sidemount Regulators - XT vs RG3ICE vs 212/DC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crabtree

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi folks, wanted to get everyone's opinion on which sidemount regulator to get: DiveRite XT (XT1 first stages + XT2 second stages) vs DiveRite RG3ICE (RG3ICE first stages + RG3 second stages) vs Hollis 212/DC1 (DC1 first stages + 212 second stages)

I've used Dive Gear Express for my price comparison Regulators for Sidemount - Dive Gear Express

The RG3ICE seems like a bargain at $549 as these are discontinued products. The XT on the other hand is $999, and the 212/DC1 slightly cheaper at $849.

In terms of my needs: I just finished my TDI Sidemount training thus getting new gear. Later down the track, i want to further my tech training and do Advanced Nitrox + Deco Procedures.

My question is, would the bargain RG3ICE be sufficient for what i want to do now and in the future? And is there any disadvantage in buying discontinued products? For example I don't really know the difference, between the RG3ICE vs the XT1/XT2 apart from the obvious ambidextrous configuration available on the latter.

If the advice is i shouldn't get the discontinued RG3ICE, then what are everyone's thought on XT vs 212/DC1?

Thanks in advance for your input and recommendations!

I've got the XT Sidemount kit after doing pretty much exactly what you've done, move into the TDI sidemount. I love my regs! i used to have oceanic ones and they served their purpose well, but it was way too expensive to try and make a sidemount kit from that. Like I said i love my regs, very easy to breathe from, my only sook point would be when the venturi thing is dialed down to make it even easier to breath from they tend to free flow pretty easy, but that's something that's pretty avoidable.

I bought the Dive rite over the hollis because of the warranty, life time warranty, and i know from many many other's comments that the service from Diverite is unmistakably the best in the industry. I read of a guy turn up to their factory to get some repairs done, like reweld a seam on his wing, they ended up without questioning it replacing the wing. It's things like that that you hear make you want to support and deal with these sort of companies.

You know that the XT have a 2 year service interval, the Hollis is annual, so is the RG3100 i think, someone might comment on that. Over time this makes a big difference in saving money.

As far as the RG3100 series, my dive instructor reckons their solid regs, just the XT is a nicer reg. Now it comes down to coin, if you can afford the XT i'd be looking in that direction, if it's a price factor, probably the RG3100 would be fine, but it's a personal choice.

On a side night, what harness do you have?

Thanks johnnyblackau for the insight! Money is a factor now, specially when i've just moved into sidemount: training, new comp (previous rec computer was air integrated), new fins (i had split fins), new BC, and riggings etc etc etc. I was thinking, i'd get the RG3100 now, and in the future, if i outgrow them, i can use them for my stage tanks when i get into deco diving.

I've got the xDeep Stealth 2.0 - so far so good, a bitch to adjust/configure, but i'm sure it will be real sweet once i get it to what i need : )

---------- Post added November 27th, 2013 at 12:34 PM ----------

have you looked into the packages from Cave Adventurers?
Sidemount Regulators : Cave Adventurers!, We will NOT be undersold!!!

Thanks str8dum, will definitly checkout the prices

Hey I just saw dive gear express have the nitek q4 for $499.00. I just picked up a nitek q after dumping my veo 3.0 and it love it! That one is a absolute steal at that price.

With all the outlay I can completely understand the cost. I too had to shed my old gear to move into sidemoubt and only now can I start to spend my money on good dives and enjoy them after the training. I just had my twinset split the other day and finally used them for sidemou t and it feels great. No more cracking knees!!! :) anyway good luck and keep in touch love to hear more about it seeing as someone else is about where I am!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 27th, 2013 at 11:36 AM ----------

http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/NiTekQ.shtml

i am also interested in members opinions on this. i am finding it hard to find info on the rg3 ice

I have owned both of those DR regs, and I can tell you from my experience that there's not a lot between the first stages, but the XT seconds are far better. They breathe better, the cracking pressure can be set a lot lower without free-flowing, they're lighter, and they're easier to service. The XT second can be swapped left to right hose entrance as well. I am not sure if the older DR seconds can do that or not.

I have 1x DC1 and 2x 212, will let you have them cheap. Love my Scubapro - Halcyon regs.

Resurrection thread.... But, I have the exact same questions as the OP, only for back mount doubles, not side mount. It's been some time, so I thought there might be more/newer thoughts on the Hollis and XT regs.

Based on input from some people on here that I already got, I have discounted getting the RG3 regs, but I'm really on the fence about the Hollis vs DR.

I talked to Geoffrey at DGX and he recommended the Hollis. But, the reasons he gave for that are:

- I already have Hollis DC3-212 regs for single tank use and a Hollis O2 reg for my deco bottle. Geoffrey said he would suggest the DC1-212 setup in order to keep all my stuff the same brand and make it easier to interchange things if ever needed. He also said that it would be advantageous to have it all the same because I would develop a "feel" for it which might tip me off to impending problems in the future.

- I asked Geoffrey about the plastic air barrel in the Hollis 212 and use in cold water. He went and talked to his tech and came back and he told me that their opinion is that the plastic air barrel is better for cold water because it is a better insulator than a metal air barrel. He said that the metal air barrel is better for longevity. But the plastic air barrel can be replaced when it becomes old and brittle. Bottom line (from them): The air barrel material is not a reason to pick either over the other.

- He also said that he thinks the XT setup is better than the RG3 setup, but not $300 better, so he would actually recommend getting the RG3 reg set instead. But, that is admittedly based on price. I don't mind paying a bit extra for better gear. To a point, anyway. So, I'm still not really considering the RG3. But I'm also not really considering a MK25 EVO+A700 or Atomic setup, either!

- He said the he can guarantee me his ability to supply me parts for the Hollis regs for at least the next 10 years. He cannot guarantee me his ability to continue to supply parts with the DR regs. And he mentioned something about the DR Lifetime parts warranty having gone away? Looking at the website, it appears the regs have a Lifetime Warranty. Did they use to have free parts for life and now that has gone away? I think this whole point is really kind of a non-issue. I can count on getting the Hollis parts from DGX. I can count on getting XT parts from somewhere, even if DGX stops carrying them. But, the 2 year service interval for DR versus 1 year for Hollis could save me $100 every other year in parts alone (assuming I follow the manufacturer's instructions, of course). That could work out to $250 every other year (I guess, roughly?) if I'm paying the shop to do the service.

The DR XT setup would be $200 more. (Almost saved after the 1st year with not having to pay for a servicing)

Geoffrey is the only person I've talked to who suggested to go with the Hollis setup over the DR XT setup. People here and in my local dive shop have all recommended to go with the XTs over Hollis. But then (almost) everyone backs up and says the Hollis regs are also really good.

I do like the Hollis regs I have now. But, they're the only regs I've owned, so I'm also of a mind to broaden my experience.

The XT2 would allow me to change the LP hose to the left, which I am considering to try at some point in the future (WAY in the future). So, I am really leaning towards the XT set.

Any last thoughts from anyone, especially anyone who would recommend Hollis?

I have owned DC2/212 setup. In fact, it was my first set of reg. Personally I think Hollis 212 2nd stage is crap. All plastic interior including air barrel. No positive stop for adjustment knob. Plastics are thin and hollow. Overall workmanship and construction is subpar compare to other brands. If they are at below $100 price range, I can still think they are OK for the money. For anything more, I will take HOG classic 2nd over 212 any day.

Hollis 1st stage is decent. It is compatible to HOG, Apeks, ... I have no issue with them

And finally, if you ever want to sell them, they are not desirable in 2nd hand market. I won't get Hollis reg unless they are at deep discount.

---------- Post added August 12th, 2015 at 01:00 PM ----------

- I asked Geoffrey about the plastic air barrel in the Hollis 212 and use in cold water. He went and talked to his tech and came back and he told me that their opinion is that the plastic air barrel is better for cold water because it is a better insulator than a metal air barrel. He said that the metal air barrel is better for longevity. But the plastic air barrel can be replaced when it becomes old and brittle. Bottom line (from them): The air barrel material is not a reason to pick either over the other.

I really can't agree with this. To prevent free flow due to freezing, the key is to dissipate the "coldness" of the expanding gas into water as quickly as possible. That is why cold water regulator has heat sink or cooling fins on them. Also you want to use material with high heat capacity, so that it can absorb the sudden "coldness" due the short burst of expanding gas (during a breath or a purge). That is why brass is better than titanium, which are better than plastics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom