Divers and non divers Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blondbop

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to Riviera Maya (Mayan Palace) this spring. In the past we have dove cozumel but it’s a pain to get there. Taxi trip, ferry trip, another taxi just to get to the boat. This time we also have non divers that would like to snorkel while we dive. Is there an easier way ? Any recommendations on dive shops or areas ? Also possibly interested in Tulum. It’s been several years since we have done any diving so all tips welcome !!

Tulum is incredible! You must see the place. MUST.

If you can rent a car, also visit the ruins at Coba, about 30 minutes northwest of Tulum. The ruins are spread out and there's a lot of walking, so take walking shoes and mosquito repellent. You used to be able to climb the temple at Coba, one of the last temples that was accessible but I hear even that temple is now closed to ascents. Anyone know if this is true? The article below suggest that you can still climb the pyramid.

Heading to Riviera Maya (Mayan Palace) this spring. In the past we have dove cozumel but it’s a pain to get there. Taxi trip, ferry trip, another taxi just to get to the boat. This time we also have non divers that would like to snorkel while we dive. Is there an easier way ? Any recommendations on dive shops or areas ? Also possibly interested in Tulum. It’s been several years since we have done any diving so all tips welcome !!
you could go with scuba playa in PDC. if you will like cave go with robbie schmitter in tulum and is dive guide.

Don’t know if you can get something out of riviera maya, but, a few years ago, my wife and I did a snorkel tour with a stop of at el cielo that was really nice. That was from Coz, though. We really liked el Cielo. It’s a sandbar loaded with stingrays and starfish.

What's the figure 8 shaped Cenote water park near Tulum?

Has some cavern, a loop of snorkeling, then a snorkel through a open cave with bats, to another loop with an island with turtles in the center.

I want to say Grande Cenote? Pretty sure it was Grande Cenote. Don't waste too much time at Tulum. Hire a private guide van, and let your guide give you a quick tour of Tulum, and spend the rest of the day at Grande Cenote. I think the private van, driver, and tour guide was fairly cheap for a whole day. Especially with a 5 way split.

Best blue in the entire world.

Also, we really enjoyed Xel Ha. It’s basically a natural water park. Scenic lazy river, cliff jumping, swimming, Ziplines into the water and some other stuff. I’d skip XCarat. Found it overcrowded and overrated. The tubing through the cave was number to bumper.

We dove the Playa area last week. Was very rough and visibility was down but good to get underwater. Here’s a current list of Scuba Caribe’s prices if you are interested. Dressel (who we have dove with in the past) was considerably higher priced - prices in $US.
IMG_7626.jpeg

If you have snorkel folk, Akumal has good snorkeling right off the beach. Akumal Bay Beach Resort has an in house dive op, and there are several others within a 5 minute walk.

Well organized center : Phocea Mexico, center of Playa del Carmen.

Diving in the sea, Cozumel, cenotes, as you want. Good and friendly guides.

Back
Top Bottom