divers body found in wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw this on one of the mailing lists that I'm on. Sad, but hopefully comforting for his family and friends to finally get some closure...

-Roman.

What everyone is saying is all very true. My point is, his buddies should have followed him up the line, got him on the boat and then they could ahve gone back down to free the anchor or cut the line. The anchor could have been retrieved another day or replaced. Joe was experienced and made his own choice, but he didn't make it home that night. I am experienced and 55 too but something could happen to me also. I have 2 passions in my life that I will fight for: swimming, surfing or diving with a buddy and trying to stop people from throwing their cigarette butts into the street from their cars.

Joed:

You said the article said that he was ascending the anchor line............

How does one realistically end up INSIDE the wreck with a belt undone after ascending the line??

This stinks of incorrectness. Sure I guess anything's possible.

My bet is, this guy went straight inside the wreck on purpose, got caught/late/snagged, whatever, and didn't come out alive.

Computer could tell the tale.

Now, about buddies........I Dunno.

Tech divers don't really have tied-to buddies.

Was he tech diving?

If so, it's up to you man!!! Sure help, if required is a life saver, but really, tech diving can be some serious stuff.

You rely on you only. I don't expect a fellow Tech Diver to risk his butt TOO much for me, he can't, depending on the situation.

You're on your own. Get real or give it up, for 10min B/Time Rec diving.

It's serious business!!! YOU draw up your own plan/times/gas management etc. You don't let anyone screw that up if you can help it. It's always the rescuers descision when his life may be in jeopardy.

It sucks to say, but if you're out of time/gas etc, he's DEAD, your best friend, spouse, or whatever.

Heaven help us all if we ever get to that descision point in a dive. I'm sick thinking about it.

Take our recent Empress dives.

4 guys, all between 10 and 15 min separating each of us.

What the heck are you gonna do when you realize, after 45 minutes R/Time that someone's NOT on time???

What do you have?? 10 more minutes TOPS to find them??

Where???

Our ONLY hope would have been our rebreather guy.

Other than that, lets face it, you're on your own....and you're dead. NO CHANCE. DEAD.

Get real.

Here's something I found.........minus the "2 yellow Oxygen tanks comment, it at least makes sense, as in ascending a line/passing out goes......

.....In early October, he and a few buddies drove to Watch Hill and successfully dove, exploring the Metis. Three weeks later, he returned with some of the same friends for another dive. While diving, Joseph Pasquale decided to surface before his two companions. When the two men got to the surface, Joseph Pasquale wasn't there.

Tragedy at that stretch of water dates back to the night of Aug. 30, 1872. Bound for Providence, the Metis, which had 104 passengers and 45 crewmembers, was rammed by a schooner, according to the Coast Guard. Boats from Stonington rushed toward the wreckage, but only 33 people survived.

With the advent of scuba gear, the remains of the Metis have become a popular spot for experienced divers to explore. Ten to 15 times a year, Frank Civitello and Patrick Casey dive to the Metis, collecting bottles, luggage tags and other artifacts from the wreck.

Wednesday, the pair trudged on the sea floor, their flashlights piercing the darkness. Just past the Metis' 22-foot-high rusting engine, their beams revealed something.

Suspended upside down, it was a diver somehow anchored to the seafloor. His dry suit was inflated and his two yellow oxygen tanks were still strapped to his back, Civitello said. The diver had taken off his weight belt, but it seemed to be tangled, snagged in his equipment.......

The newspaper article said they went down to unfoul a line. Nobody ever said Joe went back down to enter the wreck. It is my opinion that he ascended, maybe was oversaturated with some gas and he fell back to the bottom. That is my opinion only. We do not know what really happened except he told his buddies he was going up. I don't believe that tech divers need to do it right or die. Tech guys can be extreme but watch out for each other. Better than leaving your wife a widow and sons fatherless. I remember last fall when those boys were on the beach at Watch Hill for a week looking for Dad. It was a vigil. Solo dive anyway you want but if you have a family dive safe.
I also think the current dragged Joe back into the wreck and surge kept him hung up there. If he fell to the bottom from the ascent line, he fell near the wreck or on top of it and by natural sea forces was brought back inside. This is my opinion only.

The articel I found (above) is inconsistent with the "implication/article" that I had read from your post.

Specifically the part about being found "inside" the wreck.

This is quite a bit a different story.

This begs the question........what took so long????

If the guy was hung-up on a known line, didn't anyone look there?

It's clearer, but still requires more proper info.

As it seems there was many hours of searching????

If you don't believe that Tech divers need to do it right or die, what would be if they did it wrong???

The part you don't get is, SURE we watch out for each other, as much as we can, but depending on the situation, this may mean seeing them for a 1 minute period total, while on the bottom, and then not again until the deco stops.

This varies greatly depending on the dive site and individual dive plans.

And yes it can be a 99% Solo dive, by it's very nature.

It can be a lonely dive, when you're all alone and in trouble.

I shudder to think about it.

Yes, I've had the odd nightmare about things like that.

I guess it really must be the "It can't happen to me" type of thinking that gets you through, or get's you INTO it!

I'll have to re-read that chapter in Bernie's "Last Dive".

The person should have never left his buddy. 130 feet,going up then back into the water. Something is weird here. He should have stayed with his buddy and I always dive with a buddy. Never alone.

Yabbutt, you're not technically or Solo trained.

You would think different, and after more diving, you may/will free yourself from that type of thinking.

It happens gradually, as your training and experience widens.

I don't know either, if this fellow was trained this way, or was diving doubles/redundant, but from what I hear, he was a "good" diver.

"Good" is subjective, and "Good" is "No-Good" if he was doing 130 or whatever on an ALU80 with no redundancy and no gas reserve.

Knowing proper tech diving and DOING it are also two different things.

I'll be the first to admit, I don't ALWAYS dive rule of thirds (I DO probably 90% of the time) but when I don't, I also curtail the dive itself.......no penetration etc.

Assuming the diver was diving with a computer, it might not reveal anything. For example, my computer only records the last two hours of diving profiles. Given the length of time the body was down there, I doubt anything meaningful was left in memory (if the battery kept it going in the first place).

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom