Divers die

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone is always so keen on blaming the training divers have had for the accidents that happen.

I think some personal responsibility is in order, It is said many times around here. You get you certification and it is your license to learn.

Every diver is responsible for themselves. Please remember that. No amount of training, by whatever organization, will trump your own actions.

Be careful out there. Keep your head and make good decisions...

At our scuba club meeting last night we watched a DAN U-Tube on situational awareness and had a good discussion afterwards. It was surprising how many things taught and practiced in OW training had never been done again after getting the C-card - even by long time divers with tons of experience. When is the last time you shed and re-donned your BC, recovered your reg, took off your mask and then cleared it? Complacency can be deadly.

When is the last time you shed and re-donned your BC, recovered your reg, took off your mask and then cleared it? Complacency can be deadly.

Less than a month ago in Sept - instead of BC removal - I dropped integrated weights which I had not done in a while, shared a pony with my son and we both cleared masks. But every other month we come up with drills to practice in a fresh water reservoir - next drill we talked about removing a fin and my son needs more work with his compass...

Divers Die, YES they do. You can be an E.R.D and E.M.T.... but some still pass RIGHT IN FRONT of you. I HATE these threads... BTDT, suck it up, gut it out.

I've always held a mindset about how unique this hobby/sport lets you change/control your Fizz'i'ollogy... if you take control.

Baseball or Soccer don't affect my Deco, but diving does...

Be Safe Out There!

Because it's what I'm seeing in new divers with their instructors. You teach the basics with NO confidence at all.

The only reference I see to instructors in the article is: “The biggest thing about our sport is common sense,” he said. “(Instructors) make it that way on purpose; everything is designed to be easy and convenient. Unfortunately, you just can’t teach people common sense sometimes, even though you teach them safety.”

I do not agree with the common sense assessment if they are not teaching them to drop their weights when they are in trouble. At least a couple of divers were found at 100' still wearing their weights and another was lost at the surface when his buddy could not keep him afloat any longer but never dropped the stricken divers weights. If you are on the bottom, out of air, out of options and there is an unlimited supply of air at the surface, DROP THE FRACKING WEIGHTS! Dropping weights may be mentioned once in OW training as a last resort but is not stressed or practiced. But who is the bigger fool? The fool or the fool who follows him? Common sense should be telling them to get to the surface as quickly as possible. When I took OW in the 70s the instructor had this to say about dropping weights: "If you are found dead still wearing your weights it is because you were a fracking moron and that cost you your life."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom