Diver's Equipment Protection Program (DEPP) - Buyer Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have any of you guys contacted Dive Assure? I sent Dive Assure an email explaining that I was dropping them as my dive travel insurance because their website recommended DEPP. I told them DEPP was sullying Dive Assure good name. Maybe more pressure on Dive Assure could get them to pressure DEPP into responding.

Go with DAN's recommended insurance. DEPP-AWRY has been stringing me along for 5 months with silly delays. Still no check on a very small claim, and they only want to reimburse for the cheapest camera price they could find on eBay! NOT what they advertise in the policy.

DEPP/IPG whatever you know them as is apparently completely unavailable. No response in a month to any email and I have been unable to access any AWRY web sites. I still have one outstanding claim. Just a warning that you should cancel any cards with them and get DAN equipment insurance instead! Bankrupt? or just walked away from obligations? I don't know at this point.

Wow...I was just looking at DEPP. I found them thru a series of links that started at Whiterspoon Individual Dive Prof. Insurance. It seems that for all of the good I heard about Whiterspoon there is equally or more bad about DEPP. I WON'T be going to with DEPP.

I consider this thread money saving for me.

Thanks SB...

~Me~

I'm STILL waiting for DEPP to settle my claim after about 16 months. No response to my e-mails. I had another claim that I contacted them on and got no reply. Fortunately it was settled by the manufacturer as it was under warranty. These folks need a good lawsuit! What charlatans.

have you ever received any response from DEPP. I have also been waiting to receive my reimbursement check. Have you tried contacting Kentucky state board of insurance?

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2013 at 04:53 PM ----------

Did you contact Kentucky State Insurance Board? Have you opened a case? I would also like to file a complaint to. Please let me know what you have found out.
Robert O'Donnell
2726 shelter Island Drive #494
San Diego, CA 92106-2731 619 850 6928

Last edited:
I know this thread was started by Bob last June but I am here to inform you that "in a sense you are all wrong". Undercurrent got a hold of DEPP and they got an answer, their system has been down since 16 November and is now restored. So all you people that have been waiting for months for a reply there is your answer and the check will be in the mail. The system was down I mean "Hard Down", down so hard it blocked phones and snail mail.it is a wonder that cell phones operated within a mile it was so hard down. I sent Undercurrent an email and threw the BS flag on that answer, I particularly loved the "In a sense he is wrong" reply from DEPP

Doubler- LOL.... I just read that Undercurrent article, utter BS... but at least they got a reply from that arrogant ass Deane Lehrmitt.

To update subscribers to this thread here is where I have got to in pursuing my claim against DEPP:

During a short hospital stay last year I put together a complaint against AWRY/DEPP/Lehrmitts and submitted to "Kentucky Department of Insurance, Consumer Protection Division" online, then sent supporting documentation including policy documentation, proof that the policy was effected and the coverage showing the items I was claiming for were covered. I also sent the claim documentation and a chronological summary of each relevant email that passed between them and I over a period of 18 months or so. It was quite alot of work, but I am very motivated in my pursuit of these people.

I wont say that things have moved quickly, they promise a 2 week turnaround in their cases and I have been 6 months so far. I believe that the Lehrmitts are experts in gauging exactly how long they can wait before they HAVE to respond and I am sure I am not the only case that the Officer assigned to the case has to deal with.

I have spoken to the Officer in question twice, his name is Rodney Hugle, and he has been honest and straightforward with me throughout. He reported to me the following:

1) The Lehrmitts have (eventually) responded and they now claim that I am not eligible for the money because I did not replace with EXACTLY the same equipment as lost. (This despite the fact that emails clearly show they knew and approved the claim)
2) As a result of my evidence, the Lehrmitt's response and the fact that HE CANNOT FIND ANY EVIDENCE THAT THEY ARE LICENSED TO BROKER INSURANCE Mr Hugle has contacted his legal department. (I made sure he knows that DEPP continue to solicit business from the diving community)
3) The fly in the ointment is that they want me to file in the state in which the insurance was purchased. I explained on the telephone that I am a non-US resident (I am a Cruise Director on an Indonesian Liveaboard, which makes communication hard!) and asked if that therefore means I have no entitlement to Consumer Protection. He didnt realise this and has picked up the file again.

I will call him again tomorrow and will update this then.

So... Farmerbob, Drbill at al... you have to contact the Insurance Commisioners Officer in the State in which you purchased the insurance. I think it would serve us all if you would contact My Hugle with a copy of your complaint, maybe Kentucky will deal with these people once and for all.
If you are a non-US resifdent contact Mr Hugle, his email is Rodney.Hugle@ky.gov, his office telephone number (502) 564-6034. I have found him to be very approachable and helpful, also look at the website which you can search for online.

I am determined to see DEPP made to pay.

Wishing you warm waters and good vis...
Simon

Dear all who have had problems with DEPP...
I am have just submitted 20 plus pages to the Kentucky Insurance Commissioners Office in support of my official complaint and would appreciate a 1 paragraph from you by private message explaining the nature of your problem with DEPP, whether they have paid you, how long it has/had been going on and your impression of dealing with the Lehrmitts.
If you would do this asap, like yesterday, I would appreciate it. Of course I will be happy to pass on the result of my complaint including the guy at the Commissioners office's contact details.
Kind regards to all
Simon

Dear Utila Simon : I have attempted to file a report with the Kentucky Insurance Commissioners Office. I have spoken with a man named Rodney. My claim with DEPP is aproximately
12,000 dollars I filled my claim with DEPP in October of 2010. They sent me partial payment of 1,400 dollars. Deane Lehrmitt told me that my claim had accidently been closed and would have to be resubmitted. Yep that was a year ago and I have not received any additional payment. Would you please sent me any information on the Lehrmitts. I am planning on filing complaint with California Insursnce Commission.

Thanks for any help in this matter. Please email me the information to famerbob@cox.net

Sincerely

Robert O'Donnell
2726 Shelter Island Drive #494
San Diego , CA 92106-2731

Their system being down since November does nothing to explain the failure to pay prior to that on a claim from June of 2010. I expect to see a check in the mail when I get home today.

Back
Top Bottom