Divers In Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver:
Unless DeNiro is visiting the lake, but you probably never here that or anything.

FD
I was thinking the same thing

How are the people at Pirate's Cove? I've heard good things about them and have thought about venturing to the city to check them out. That's a pretty good deal on a 7 mil suit. Those come in handy here in Oklahoma for those of us crazy enough to dive in the colder parts of the year!

galscuba:
How are the people at Pirate's Cove? I've heard good things about them and have thought about venturing to the city to check them out. That's a pretty good deal on a 7 mil suit. Those come in handy here in Oklahoma for those of us crazy enough to dive in the colder parts of the year!
I honestly love them up there. The older lady that runs it is really really nice. My girfriend, another couple (26 & 28 year old), and I rented those 7mils in April for Clear Springs. Ever since then, she has refered to us as "the kids". Just becuase we are I guess the younger than most that go in there. So if you ever go in there, just tell her that one of the "kids" sent you in. :)

I've bought a bunch of stuff from Pirates Cove. They are really nice and are willing to be reasonable. However, my wife is afraid of lakes (poor viz) so we dive in tropical places only Turks and Caicos, Cozumel, etc... Boomer Sooner!!!!

oronogo has about 15-20 ft at 85 feet. about 10 at 20ft.

My son and I went to Elmer Thomas a month ago. But since we started diving in Cozumel and Grand Cayman, we've lost interest in lake diving.
Last year we went to Beaver lake. That was OK.
I was pretty pleased with Panama City Florida last year as well.

I hate wearing the 7mil wetsuit!

We just got back from a week at Table Rock Lake State Park. Six dives, staying above the thermacline (and the muck) at 30 feet, communing with the long-earred perch and the bass. We snuck up on flatheads and crawdads, visited with other divers from Oklahoma City, and generally had a good time.
Day temps in the 80s, water temps in the 70s, good for 3 mils and beanies. Our daughters did some snorkeling, but I found it a bit nippy without a wetsuit.
My one regret is that I didn't explore the new jogging trail beside the state park earlier. We found several gravel trails down to the water, and people taking their water toys to them. Next time we'll check it out.
Other divers said the viz was good below the thermacline, but I wasn't excited about needing that much insulation on those hot days.

Muck, how much depends on where you dive. Down deeper the vis is much better and there's more rock features down deeper that are interesting. More than a person diving shallow would think, however to see fish you'd be best served staying shallow like you did.

Dive Dewey Short and go down to say 100 feet or so and you'll find lots of rocks, ledges, and old tree's. It's really quite a treat to see the older things, and yes you'll find junk like cans and stuff.

The extra insulation is needed below the thermocline, the temps at 119 feet this weekend were around 48 degree's which can be kind of cold for anything less than a 7mm or drysuit. The guys next to us who were diving down to around 200 feet said the temps were pretty much the same all the way down and they had good vis as well.

There sure was a lot of divers there this past weekend and even Monday as well, pretty good vis for this time of year from all accounts.

Anyone a cavern/cave diver. I just got my cavern cert and will need a buddy for trips to missouri.

wheelietaco:
Im doing cavern this weekend at Roubidoux Springs and oronogo, i will let you know what the conditions are next week.

Where is Roubidoux Springs???? I haven't heard of it, please enlighten me!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom