Divers missing off Gordo Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The divers and dive master swam from Gordo Banks to San Jose Del Cabo, which is about five miles, they ended up on the beach at midnight.

San Jose Del Cabo...

Capture.jpg

Gordo Banks is an amazing dive site.

They did an excellent job swimming to shore!

Hi to all my fellow divers who prayed for our safety during our ordeal whilst lost at sea, my name is Mick and my son is Daniel we are both experienced divers who came Mexico to see the Hammerhead Sharks. We would like to say a big thank you to all who posted comments on the Scubaboard web site. We are slowly recovering and trying to enjoy the rest of our holiday and it goes without saying we will not be diving again on this holiday (Wife's orders)

Also we would like to thank Rene (Instructor @ Eagle Divers) who lead the dive and our safety back to shore, I must say when we finally hit the shore after our 14hour swim it was an unbelievable feeling because at times I very nearly gave up but for the words of encouragement from the rest of the group including my son we all made it back.

I would strongly recommend that when you dive in the strong currents in the Sea of Cortez you plan your dive and dive your plan and always carry a SMB (surface marker bouy) and listen to your instructor's per dive brief

Once again a big thank you to all

Best regards

Mick & Dan Kiernan

Very glad you are both okay, I'm sure there is a very interesting story there, best wished for your recovery.

Thank you so much Mick for posting! I was diving Cabo Pulmo the day of your incident. Our group was supposed to dive Gordo Banks the following day but that trip was cancelled because of the rough sea conditions and currents. We heard about your group and how you were able to make it to shore. Believe me, there was a collective sigh of relief and joy to hear about your triumph. I cannot imagine having the strength to endure your ordeal.

I appreciate your sharing this with us. In addition to a safety sausage, I have ordered a mirror for all future dives. Hopefully you will get a chance to relax and enjoy your time on the island with your family.

14 hour swim?! I'd need the whole Dallas Cowboys cheer squad to keep me going. So very glad you all made it okay.
...and always carry a SMB (surface marker bouy) and listen to your instructor's per dive brief
Always! Every practice dive and every real dive, carry a SMB; it amazes me that anyone goes to sea without one.

You can rent a PLB & Dive Case too, if you'd like - and for there, damn good idea. The rental link in my sig goes to that same place.

Hi to all my fellow divers who prayed for our safety during our ordeal whilst lost at sea, my name is Mick and my son is Daniel we are both experienced divers who came Mexico to see the Hammerhead Sharks. We would like to say a big thank you to all who posted comments on the Scubaboard web site. We are slowly recovering and trying to enjoy the rest of our holiday and it goes without saying we will not be diving again on this holiday (Wife's orders)

Also we would like to thank Rene (Instructor @ Eagle Divers) who lead the dive and our safety back to shore, I must say when we finally hit the shore after our 14hour swim it was an unbelievable feeling because at times I very nearly gave up but for the words of encouragement from the rest of the group including my son we all made it back.

I would strongly recommend that when you dive in the strong currents in the Sea of Cortez you plan your dive and dive your plan and always carry a SMB (surface marker bouy) and listen to your instructor's per dive brief

Once again a big thank you to all

Best regards

Mick & Dan Kiernan

thanks for replying to let us know your in good spirits! i have had a the pleasure of working with rene before and yes, a very good instructor!
hope you can get back into a easy dive soon!

The instructor should have signaled the other divers to go to the boat and then cut loose to "aid" the diver blown off the line. Every diver on that trip should have had a surface marker, a dive light and backup.. used it, especially the instructor/guide, whatever... to mark their location. The divers that reached the boat would then "wake up" and alert the capt' that a blow off occurred and he should know the current direction. Problem solved. Never expect someone you don't know from Jack, to be prepared, but you and know what to do...

A bit late but crazy to see this post & make the connection...
Ive had the oppurtunity to also dive with Rene, way cool laid back individual!
Dove with him in East Cape / Cabo Pulmo area while he was working with Mark Rayor / VistaSeaSports.
Amazing story & glad everyone is ok....

Mark Rayors link of the senario:
Fishing the East Cape with Mark Rayor: TAKEN BY STORM

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom