Divers Toolbox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smorneau

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What tools and repair materials do experienced divers typicaly bring with you on a dive trip other than the typical "save a dive kits"?

duct tape, aqua seal/neoprene goop, allen keys, small adjustable wrench, letterman tool...and a spare mask.

I take a couple open end wrenches, a small adjustable wrench, couple allen wrenches and some O-rings.

I have a mask box with
IP Gauge
two sets of allen keys
2 adjustable wrenches
2 pin spanners
O ring pick
1st and 2nd stage parts kits *not needed but had a failure on a trip and have one now*
bunch of port plugs
2 yoke adapters
zip ties
nylon line for tyeing stuff together
O-rings-din reg, yoke valve, port plugs/hose ends, other end of the reg hoses, pretty much all of them :)
Extra fin straps/mask straps
pencils
extra slate
aquaseal
baby powder-drysuit stuff
extra condoms-also drysuit stuff
2 extra second stages and an extra first stage
couple of SPG spools
at least 2 inflator hoses, 1 HP hose and 4 regulator hoses
couple of suicide straps
snorkel
mucinex/hot sauce *mucinex if you know it's bad before hand, hot sauce for right before the dive :twisted:
Battery chargers

hrmmm i'm sure there's other stuff in there but I can't think of what they are. sorry for the stream of consciousness but I'm sitting at work watching a loom run and so my head is all rattled

Dive Gear Express offers complete service parts kits, spares, and maintenance manuals.

Which means that if you are out of your area, on vacation, and something goes wrong, as long as you carry ther appropriate service kit for your rig, any qualified technician can find the instructions on the internet and get you back in the water. Or, you may prefer the do-it-yourself method. Either way, with these parts readily available, it's always prudent to carry them in your toolbox.

Saxplayer1004, How large is your mask box? OND

there's two of them inside a duffel bag:D
The duffel usually has a towel and change of clothes in it as well. Is just more convenient. I made a bag that goes on the back of my Nomad that holds quite literally everything except my exposure suit and tanks so if I'm diving sidemount I'll use that bag instead.
The way our teams work is we are all fully self sufficient so some of the big huge toolboxes you see some people carry are great and well stocked, but largely unnecessary if everyone is taking care of themselves. I think that falls under the "independent buddy team" and "self sufficient diver" mentality that we are all supposed to live by. So all of us have comparable "save a dive" kits and by putting most of the important junk in a mask box, the other has all the other tools that may or may not be necessary for an issue

OH!!! and most important of all! SIMPLE GREEN!!!!
and the always afterthought of ear beer, cuz I always forget that...

For local diving around UAE and Oman I am driving one of my Land Rovers so I am already taking a comprehensive tool kit around with me :D

Additionally I usually have some spare weights, back up first and second stages, mask and assorted hoses, as well as spare straps n clips n stuff.

Thermos with hot water to make coffee, tea or use for treatment of marine poisons (used hot coffee once on a friend who had a lionfish sting when I lived in Saudi).

For me and my wife, noting that we both dive the same 1st and second stages and the same dive computer:
Dive tool, small box assorted o-rings, fast setting epoxy, duct tape, spare mouthpiece (fits all our second stages and our snorkels too), spare slate pencil, computer battery replacement kit, one spare set of 4 x AAA batteries, one spare set of 4 x AA batteries, spare second stage, spare SPG with HP hose, small folding knife that fits in BC pocket (for use when local regulations prohibit diving with a visible knife), 1/4 sheet of wet/dry sanding sheet grade 500 (for cleaning contacts etc), spare finger spool, spare mask each.

I used to carry spare fin strap & clips until we put springs on all our fins.

Spare fingerless gloves - some locations don't let you wear gloves but will accept fingerless ones. Just covering palms & backs of hands keeps down heat loss.

The fast setting epoxy saved a whole trip when an over-enthusiastic fellow diver pulled my semi-dry suit sealed zipper beyond its end-stop. In a few minutes I was able to get the slider back on and mold a new end stop.

Save-A-Dive kit (this all fits into a mask box, yes it's all a tight fit):

Glue (of the super variety)
Small tube of silicone grease (for camera and other parts)
O-rings
O-Ring Pick (very important)
Mask Strap
Fin Strap
Screw drivers (Philips and flat head)
Small Adjustable wrench
Batteries (for Dive computer and transmitter)
Zip Ties
Anti Sting pad
Hair bands (rubber ones no metal)
Spare Mouth piece
Allen key ( I only need one size)
2 Double sided brass clips
1 retractable clip

Then I have my spares kit in my car:
Extra hoses (LP & HP),
Duplicates of a majority of the things I have in my save-a-dive kit,
2" webbing (I dive a BPW),
weights