Divers vs Underwater Tourists

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is ridiculous that people show their number of dives like it is some badge of honor.

I do not. If I were your stockbroker, would you want to know how many trades I have made? I would. If I were your girlfriend, and I was quite adept at certain areas of sexual expertise, would you want to know how many people with which I had relations? I would. If you are going to give me diving advice, based upon your experience, then I want to know how much experience you have. This is why my diving profile is filled out as much as possible on here. If I promulgate a practice or technique, then people should know who I am, and what kind of diving I do. This gives them a frame of reference. Does dive count indicate a skill level categorically? No. It is a strong indication? Yes. I would take advice from someone with 2,000 dives (Bob Bailey anyone?) before I would take advice from someone who does not display their dive count (like yourself).

The bottom line is, there are many divers out there that have simply survived this long under water by pure luck. Many very bad divers submerge everywhere. On the other hand, there are many GOOD new divers (again the definition of NEW is still needed). Do they compare to a GOOD diver with 500 dives...not likely. Do they compare to a BAD diver with 500 dives? I would take those odds.

I've heard one instructor refer to such divers as roaches. No matter what happens, they still manage to survive.

I have read this thread and one major thing has gotten me worked up...

... not need a DM to make you safe.

If you NEED someone else to make you safe, then you have no business being in the water. The only times that someone else is responsible for your safety is during OW training and Discover Scuba type programs.

If you are a safe diver, but you need/like to have someone to help with gear setup, dive planning, navigation, etc, then yeah, I can live with the term Underwater Tourist.

The inferred association of inexperience equals unsafe is what bothered me.

I do not. If I were your stockbroker, would you want to know how many trades I have made? I would. If I were your girlfriend, and I was quite adept at certain areas of sexual expertise, would you want to know how many people with which I had relations? I would. If you are going to give me diving advice, based upon your experience, then I want to know how much experience you have. This is why my diving profile is filled out as much as possible on here. If I promulgate a practice or technique, then people should know who I am, and what kind of diving I do. This gives them a frame of reference. Does dive count indicate a skill level categorically? No. It is a strong indication? Yes. I would take advice from someone with 2,000 dives (Bob Bailey anyone?) before I would take advice from someone who does not display their dive count (like yourself).

You are correct Slonda... and put it very nicely... but:

1) You can post whatever you want on this board... most are honest... but I've also scratched my head over certain advice given by so called +1000 dives 'divers'... On the internet I could be the 3rd man on the moon and your grandfather :wink:
2) Number of dives can give an indication of experience... but not always... attitude and mindset are as important. I think we once discussed this talking about when to be ready for DM. I now a diver (more like a mentor) with +1500 dives in alot of environments, with a very easy going and gentle teacher mentality... well I would follow this man to the moon. I also know a guy with 500 dives, well he's never leading a dive but always following... he always braggs about his 200+ feet dives.. well he'll be part of a group I'll be diving deeper wrecks with next week in France... but I won't buddy up with him.. since he's NOT a safe and selfreliant diver even tho he has 500 dives under his belt

Cheers

Color me as an underwater tourist . . .

WaterSnake05.jpg

SpeckledKingsnake0101.jpg

SpeckledKingsnake01.jpg

Beautiful Speckled King! I assume the other is a Broad Banded Watersnake? Or a Yellow Belly?
Placing those pics after the gator and mocassin might give some people the impression
they are dangerous. For those that dont know better, they aren't.
Just a clarification.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread suspended.

Please note: This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed.

This thread may disappear and may or may not return depending on whether we can clean it up. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom