Dives 22,23 and 24. Bonne Terre Mine Experience Aug 2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonne Terre is mostly open water. There are some areas that are overhead environments, such as the Chapel Room. I was there for my dives #5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Should I have been diving there fresh out of an open water certification?? Probably not. But I lived and had a great time! I will be back and now have a drysuit! Last time I dove there, I had a 7mm full suit and a 7mm hooded vest over that. I was still a bit chilled.

On Scuba Board, you have to take the good comments with the bad. It's a fact of life here. Getting defensive and screaming at those posters only gives them what they are expecting in reply. You will get some good advice here, so do come back.

Interesting report. I plan to try Bonne Terre this winter. Thankfully I am getting my drysuit next week, so after reading this I think that's what I will be wearing. Your report is a huge help.

They don't allow you to take dive lights? What if there is a problem? Just curious.

Interesting report. I plan to try Bonne Terre this winter. Thankfully I am getting my drysuit next week, so after reading this I think that's what I will be wearing. Your report is a huge help.

They don't allow you to take dive lights? What if there is a problem? Just curious.

That's only on the first dive. After that you can bring yours along.

Maybe they dont allow one to take the lights the first time so the diver is less likely to head off into an opening that looks interesting...you know "hey it looks cool and I have a light maybe I will just go in just a little" I saw on a video if a diver that is not certified cave or something like that dives in an area that has openings not having a light will extinguish the urge to just see a little bit more in the opening.

Sounds like lots of fun though..

Soltari,

I've dove Bonne Terre (Bonne Terre Mine) several times over the years. First dives, c. 1990, I dove wet in a full quarter-inch farmer John and enjoyed the dives immensely. (I was a still-relatively-new diver then, but was used to diving in Missouri/Arkansas lakes and quarries.) Most recent dives, c. 2000, when I ran a couple of trips for university scuba students, I dove dry.

You do not *need* a drysuit. A good quality quarter-inch (7 mm) farmer John and shorty with booties, hood, and gloves that all fit well, will be enough--even during winter.

Between dives, you go topside out of the mine. New divers diving wet sometimes forget that they need to strip out of their wetsuits, towel off completely, and dress in warm clothing (including beanies) to help warm up between dives. In the winter, if you don't go to a nearby restaurant for sustenance between dives, you can sit around outside to help warm up if the sun is out.

Hope this helps.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

The lights all depend on the guide that is taking you. In my group, the first 4 dives, only the guide and his divemasters had lights. This is so no one gets the urge to explore outside the planned dive route. On my 5th dive, our group merged with another group that was there. Some people didn't want to make another dive from both groups, so they were combined. The other group was carrying lights because they were allowed to on all their previous dives. That was the most annoying thing ever!! Nobody had good light control and I was blinded several times. Everyone in my group commented on that after the dive. The leaders have sufficient light to light up everything you need to see and point out the interesting parts of the dive. Also, it's easy to find one of the guides... He's the one with the light!

Kind of why I dont like to dive in groups. Getting flashed (light or camera), fin kicked, etc just spoils the fun. Group etiquette is a lost attribute in todays society.

In a group, its not about "me" its about "we".

It is not a hard and fast rule that you can not bring your lights. I know - I am a safety diver at the mine. If you have never been diving at the mine, we have mapped out "trails". Trail #1 is the first (obviously), and a portion of it is a checkout dive. We are extremely safety conscious, so we check basic skills right off, making sure you can clear your mask (if it floods), and buddy breathe. These are basic skills ANY diver should be able to do, and we want to make sure you can do them for your safety, as well as that of others. After all, these are group dives, and while we want to have FUN, we also want to be safe. There IS a rule about no lights on Trail #1. After that, lights are at the tour guide's discretion - some are OK with lights, others not). Here is the concern with lights: the tour guide and safeties use light to signal to one another, as well as signal to other tourist divers, and gain their attention (e.g. - The tour guide can signal the safety, asking if all is OK, and I can signal back whether things are OK or not. Also, if the dive profile for our trail is say 50 feet for the max planned depth (for a 45 - 50 minute dive!), and a dive tourist is dropping to 80 feet, the tour guide would signal you to come-up to level with the rest of the group!). It can get really confusing, really quickly, if everyone is utilizing lights! The tour guide also uses a light to highlight and show items of interest along the way. Other lights can be a distraction. A HUGE problem with dive tourists with lights on a group dive, is when the tourist forgets to turn the light off, when not in use, and just let's it hang free, and bounce around on a lanyard (seems to happen no matter how many times we might request that folks be kind enough NOT to do this on a dive, it still happens!). If you are one of the unfortunate people diving below or behind someone with a dangling, bright light, inadvertently left on, you would understand the problem (you are continuously flashed in the eyes with the light). Anyway, I wanted to provide a few more FACTS about the light rules. I hope it makes sense now. One other thing: there are POWERFUL, sodium, stadium lights above the entire lake. The visibility is 100 feet, plus. It's amazing. With no lights, being down 60 feet, you can easily see everyone and everything around you, without the need of a light! IT'S AWESOME, and amazes everyone who experience it for the first time (no, it's not dark and pitch black like a cave. most of the environment we dive is completely open water. if we go uder any overhead, it's for a VERY short duration, in and out usually, and there is always more than one way in or out, and you can ALWAYS see light from either entrance or exit! We are typically talking going under big, huge, open archways!). I hope you can come down and join us for some dives. It truly is one of the most awesome places you will ever dive. The water is a constant 58 degrees, year round. I dive a wetsuit, and make several dives a day performing safety duties. I, myself, have no issue with diving the mine in a wetsuit (I'm 51 years old). There are lots of staff who dive in drysuits, and claim to be a lot more comfortable! Anyway, if you have any questions or anything, you can call West End Diving for more information, as the dive shop also runs the Bonne Terre Mine dive operation (Doug & Cathy Goergens are the owners of West End Diving, run the diver operation at the mine, and also have a dive resort called Maya Palms, down in Mexico. West End Diving's number is (314) 209-7200). Hope to see you down at the mine!

Back
Top Bottom