DiveXtras Sierra vs. Cuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want fast and dependable the Silent Submersion Magnus is as good as it get. Happy shopping whatever you get. New toys are always fun.

+1 Sierra

For shore diving and NDL runs in MoCal it's hard to beat the Sierra. I'm suspecting you are talking about some of the runs me and my buddies are doing right now. The length and weight are both pretty managable even in doubles. With the cuda the length is uncomfortable and becomes a PIA to drag accross the beach fully kitted up. I would go with the Sierra. It'll take a while for you to run out of places to with the Sierra...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three of us in the class this weekend are all running cudas and it is a blast. No regrets.

Spend the extra grand and get the cuda with the fury battery and get the best of both.

I would recommend the Cuda or if weight is a serious issue than the Sierra with the Fury battery. Sooner rather than later you will want the run time.

For surf (not just shore) diving, the Sierra is king. If you plan to fly with the scooter, the Sierra is king. The Sierra has plenty of oomph. Here it's towing divers in doubles plus *five* AL80s at 600' (Yolanda at 180). The range (1.6 miles) is generally plenty. Sure, there are *some* dives for which I wish I had more range. In those few cases, I'll either borrow a scooter with greater range or tow a second Sierra. For multi-dive days, we just have extra batteries. A Fury battery would be ideal (other than for travel...and well, the cost!). The Cuda is nice if you're using it as a video platform or if you'll only be boat (or Lobos ramp) diving it. For bigger beaches and surf (or travel), I'd stick with the Sierra and try picking up a spare battery.

If you want fast and dependable the Silent Submersion Magnus is as good as it get. Happy shopping whatever you get. New toys are always fun.

The Magnus hasnt been around long enough to be called "dependable". :wink:

I have owned my Cuda for a year and absolutely love it whether shore or boat diving. If I was buying today the Sierra with the DSS battery would be hard to resist because of the weight.

Just so everybody knows - I ended up with the Sierra. Eventually, I'll probably invest in the DSS battery, but I've got a lot of new dives that are now doable for me to do before that becomes an issue. :)

What swung it for me was absolutely the size and weight of the unit. Most of the diving I enjoy is shore diving, and moving the Sierra around on land is 100% manageable - even one handed - while fully geared up for me. The Cuda's weight was manageable, but the length was an issue for me (I'm 5'9").

Back
Top Bottom