DiveXtras Sierra vs. Cuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you get a second battery?

Not yet, but it's potentially going happen soon'ish. For now, I'll just be doing one scooter dive per day (or two where I'm light on the trigger, I guess). The main reason I'm holding off is to decide whether the Fury battery is going to be worth the extra cost to me in a timeframe that makes buying a second NiMh battery pointless.

As I said earlier you will very soon want the extra run time- the Fury battery will be worth the extra cost.

Is my understanding correct that the Fury battery is independent of the scooter. In other words, can you house the fury battery in a sirra or a cuda? Or are there different cuda and sierra fury batteries?

Also, if one buys a sierra or cuda in NiMh, what is involved in upgradin to a fury battery?

Very interesting discussions. Sorry if this comes accross as me changing the topic of the thread.

Is my understanding correct that the Fury battery is independent of the scooter. In other words, can you house the fury battery in a sirra or a cuda? Or are there different cuda and sierra fury batteries?

Also, if one buys a sierra or cuda in NiMh, what is involved in upgradin to a fury battery?

Very interesting discussions. Sorry if this comes accross as me changing the topic of the thread.

You would have to check with DiveX or Tobin to be 100% Sure.

For the Sierra I am pretty sure you just get a new batt & Charger.

I *think* with the programmable nature of Cuda Furys electronics you can use the Sierra lithium battery.

My understanding was a regular cuda was currently NiMh only

My understanding was that a Cuda Fury is Li-ion only

I could be mistaken and things of course could change in the future.

The Sierra "Fury" battery is 120 cell, 22.2 volt(nominal), 52 amphour, 1154 watthour

The Cuda "Fury" battery is 120 cell 44.4 volt (nominal), 26 amphour, 1154 watthour

Both are exactly the same size and weight, same cell count, same package, different internal configuration.

If you want a Sierra Fury, you can:

1) Buy one complete from the Factory

2) Upgrade any existing Sierra by purchasing the Sierra Fury Battery and Charger

If you want a Cuda Fury you can:

1) Buy one complete from the factory

2) Upgrade any existing Cuda by purchasing the Special Shorter "Cuda Fury" hull, and the Cuda Fury Battery and Charger.

Can a Sierra Fury Battery be used with a Cuda motor?

Yes by reprograming the electronics. Same long range at cruise as a Cuda Fury, but top speed is less than if the Cuda Fury battery was used.

Can a Cuda Fury Battery be used with a Sierra Motor?

No, the battery voltage is too high.

Hope this helps,

Tobin

You would have to check with DiveX or Tobin to be 100% Sure.

For the Sierra I am pretty sure you just get a new batt & Charger.

I *think* with the programmable nature of Cuda Furys electronics you can use the Sierra lithium battery.

My understanding was a regular cuda was currently NiMh only

My understanding was that a Cuda Fury is Li-ion only

I could be mistaken and things of course could change in the future.

Your hunch seems pretty reasonable. Thanks for the input.

To Cuda, perchance to dream! I hope to get my hands on one of these bad boys. I have never actually tried anything other than a pedestrian scubapro dpv, and I am worried that if I try a cuda out I will have no choice but to buy one.

Much obliged.

Al Yafi
Dives well under pressure

Not exactly. The 550 I had last weekend had a 180 cell, 1730 watthour Lithium pack in it.

This battery also fits in a 650 hull. For three days I never opened the hull. :wink:

Tobin

Please edit your post (and remove the knowledge of it from my brain) I already spend (more than) enough on dive gear ..... damn thats a nice battery....

Wow, very detailed answer. Thanks!

The Sierra "Fury" battery is 120 cell, 22.2 volt(nominal), 52 amphour, 1154 watthour

The Cuda "Fury" battery is 120 cell 44.4 volt (nominal), 26 amphour, 1154 watthour

Both are exactly the same size and weight, same cell count, same package, different internal configuration.

If you want a Sierra Fury, you can:

1) Buy one complete from the Factory

2) Upgrade any existing Sierra by purchasing the Sierra Fury Battery and Charger

If you want a Cuda Fury you can:

1) Buy one complete from the factory

2) Upgrade any existing Cuda by purchasing the Special Shorter "Cuda Fury" hull, and the Cuda Fury Battery and Charger.

Can a Sierra Fury Battery be used with a Cuda motor?

Yes by reprograming the electronics. Same long range at cruise as a Cuda Fury, but top speed is less than if the Cuda Fury battery was used.

Can a Cuda Fury Battery be used with a Sierra Motor?

No, the battery voltage is too high.

Hope this helps,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom