Diving 1 month after minor operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstroeck

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have already been advised by my (non-diving) doctor that it would be OK for me to dive on the date I have a course scheduled, but just to make sure, I'd like to have some input from other divers and possibly doctors.

I had a minor operation done on the 2nd of November. It was a correction of a broken finger that would not heal, the operation went perfectly. The wound has already healed, I'm not on any kind of medication and the plastic splint that protects my finger perfectly fits under my three-finger gloves.

So, do you think it's OK to be diving one month after an operation (December 3, to be exact)?

It breaks down to two concerns: 1) Is the orthopedic procedure stable enough that any activities or likely minor incidents that might occur while diving will not affect the fixation, and 2) Are there any systemic effects of having had an anesthetic one month ago that would be likely to cause problems with cognition or decision-making underwater.

I can't answer number one, because it depends on the type of fracture and how the fixation was accomplished. You say the splint fits under your glove . . . does having that hand splinted interfere with anything you need to get done underwater? If the orthopod isn't worried and you can do all your skills and handle your gear with the splint on, that probably isn't an issue.

With regards to the second part, a little bit depends on what kind of anesthetic you had. If the procedure was done under any sort of local (Bier block, brachial plexus block) then you're clear. If the procedure was done under general, inhalational anesthetic, in theory the gas has long since cleared. I have, however, had surgical colleagues who have had operations who reported to me that they noted increased fatigue and lack of stamina for up to a month after the procedure. You'll know whether you are operating at normal speed or not.

Bottom line, in my opinion (and I don't know you, and this isn't "medical advice") is that if the orthopod thinks the fixation is safe with the activities of diving, you should be fine, unless you still feel distinctly under the weather. (Opinion of a former general surgeon)

Hi TSandM,

Thank you for your thoughts! I had a local anesthetic, it was a brachial Plexus block, so that shouldn't be a problem. As for my ability to perform tasks underwater, I have to admit I'm not sure. The splinted finger is my middle-finger, which is important because I'll be wearing three finger gloves, so all the delicate work will be done by my index finger anyway.

The finger already feels very solid, and it will have another almost three weeks to heal , but really, I now think I'll just have to do an easy dive to make sure I can handle all my skills without problems....

Great advice from the doc. The main thing is the activity, not diving. Pressure, infection, etc shouldn't be concerns at this point. The concern is reinjury. You probably wouldn't play raquetball at that point. Diving is not a contact support (for most of us). So you need to consider what your dive plan will be, including kitting up, etc and decide whether those tasks can be accomplished with little to no risk of injury to your finger.

When daily activities and sport is possible again, you will be all set for diving...

Are you able to climb a ladder onto a boat after a diven carrying the heavy gear???

And you never know what might happen during a dive...

You will be diving soon, you are the only one who will know when it is safe to dive and avoid reinjury, of course take doctor's advice first and tchek fracture consolidation.

It is not because the doctor will say it isi ok! that you will be free of pain...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom