Diving with PVD Symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CF L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been told by my optometrist recently that I have Posterior Vitreous Detachment. I've found a question-and-answer page from a diver magazine that suggests diving within 6 months of the onset of symptoms may not be advisable, which contradicts some discussions I've read on this forum.

My symptoms including a floater and flashing light in dark environments started in late May and I have a dive trip booked in early October. From what I've read symptoms may go away in a few months when the detachment is complete, so fingers crossed that may happen for me when I leave for my trip, but if I need to cancel the booking I have to do it by the end of August.

I could consult an ophthalmologist but not sure how to find one familiar with diving physiology.

I am wonder if I should avoid diving until after 6 months? Any advice will be gratefully received.

I have been told by my optometrist recently that I have Posterior Vitreous Detachment. I've found a question-and-answer page from a diver magazine that suggests diving within 6 months of the onset of symptoms may not be advisable, which contradicts some discussions I've read on this forum.

My symptoms including a floater and flashing light in dark environments started in late May and I have a dive trip booked in early October. From what I've read symptoms may go away in a few months when the detachment is complete, so fingers crossed that may happen for me when I leave for my trip, but if I need to cancel the booking I have to do it by the end of August.

I could consult an ophthalmologist but not sure how to find one familiar with diving physiology.

I am wonder if I should avoid diving until after 6 months? Any advice will be gratefully received.
Recommend you start with a medical referee via UK Diving Medical Committee.

Best regards,
DDM

The medical referee I emailed replied very quickly and this is what he said:

"Posterior Vitreous Detachment is a benign condition that does not need any treatment. It will not be aggravated by diving either."

I have contacted a couple of medical travel insurance providers, both have said PVD should be declared as a pre-existing condition for cover.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom