Diving 3 Mile Reef, Perth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I thought since most of the threads here are very Eastern seaboard-centric, Id like to add what we have here in South West WA diving around Perth waters. Most who know Perth have heard of Rottnest and HMAS SWAN, two popular dive sites frequented by tourists. The Key Biscayne is more known amongst technical divers. However there are many other dive sites which are very close to shore where you wont see many divers at all.

3 Mile reef is a long stretch of limestone reef formations running in North/South direction out of northern Perth waters all the way to Five Fathom Bank to the south. It is home to a large variety of fish species and nice corals. The main launch sites are Hillarys, Ocean Reef and Mindarie. Recently we had launched out of Hillarys, but more northerly spots off Mindarie have taken some locating and after sounding off in the right spots some real gem of dive sites appear - relatively undiscovered. My good buddy had been talking about this new ground all through last season and we finally made out the trip out last weekend. I have been eager to test out the new compact rig and shooting manual for the first time looking at wide angle opportunities with just one strobe was going to prove challenging I thought. Bring on the 2nd strobe please mr pay packet!

It ended up being a great location with long a wall facing the mainland. There was none to little wind and swell to just 2m. Max depth 25m. Visibility that day was slightly down around 12-15M. Average 15M. Water this time of year around 16C mark.

I managed to find an interesting white gorgonian fan coral along the wall and seized the opportunity to take a couple of shots despite the low light conditions and being limited by just the 1 strobe.

IMG_01401.jpg

IMG_01141.jpg

looks good ... hopefully one day i will get out west for some diving!

Need your own boat to get out there I guess?

Going to try and head over to Rotto in the next few weeks to test out the new gear I bought. Hopefully owning my own gear will provide the impetus to get in the water more often :D

There are a few operations that do head out to the 3mile for diving if you dont have a boat. Im fortunate to have some buddies that do. Some of the sites are definitely on par with Rotto if not better. We have seen small schools of northern trevally, sambos, dhuies, bigeyes. There are large rays, dolphins, nudibranchs, octopus and of course plenty of crayfish. Good thing is you wont get a big boat pull up with hordes of divers drop down on a site, unlike Rottnest.. 3 mile has a bit more of a frontier feel because one could stumble upon good ground and dive a site thats possibly not seen any divers.

We did another dive on the weekend on 'The Wall'. Conditions were mint with glass off no swell or wind. This kind of frontier diving really excites me about diving locally. The shore dive I did the prior day was wrecked when a school of learners came in and silted the place up. What is it about learning divers that makes it a 100 m dash. Do they think they will see more the faster they go?

Well the next day diving was definitely something I was looking forward to after this rash experience. So we descended into clear waters with the site all to ourselves at about 7am after a quick boat ride and to greet us was a large school of Buff Bream. Swimmming into this huge wall of fish reminded me a little of diving Barracuda PT at Sipadan, maybe just not as intense. This site never seems to not amaze me. On 2 dives I have now seen loads of life that I have not encountered before on any other local dives off shore or ocean. And I have been diving locally for almost 2 years now. There is so much more to explore and Im happy to share the photos of our findings right here so watch this space.

IMG_07891.jpg

IMG_07751.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info and the great pics.
I was diving in WA during the last 3 weeks and did some wonderful dives.

On my next visit soon, I will have to find one of the charters who go out to "The Wall" as I would love to dive there too!

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom