Diving after knee replacement(s)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have Grade 4 arthritis in both my knees. I've been told someday when I can no longer stand the pain or can't walk I'll need replacements. How,will this affect diving?
Diving from shore? I can't find any information on this subject. Anyone diving with replacement knees?

I had a knee replacement (Depuy Rotating Platform Knee in one leg) in 2010 and was concerned that it would adversely affect diving. I researched as much as I could on DAN, SCUBABOARD, and questions of Orthopedic Surgeons, nothing negative. I did my first weeks diving (boat diving in Cozumel) 7 weeks post op., after vigorous physical therapy to strengthen my leg and restore flexibility. After not experiencing any problems, my wife and I did 5 weeks of additional diving that year, including 3 weeks in Bonaire, exclusively shore diving. Did not have a single problem with the knee during that entire time. The lack of pain in the knee greatly increased my enjoyment of shore diving and the restoration of strength in the affected leg was a big benefit of the surgery overall. Key to the success was dedication to the post op rehab and effort to rebuild strength. I am now recovering from ankle fusion surgery (ankle was the cause of the knee problems) and look forward to getting back in the water after rehab.

Back
Top Bottom