Diving after LASIK Eye Surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hate to quibble, but having spent some time maintaining pools in my long ago youth, I need to comment on the pool.

People tend to think chlorine is the problem but it is actually the PH which causes things like discomfort in the eyes. This is understandable confusion because chlorine impacts the PH, but the PH needs to be separately controlled for the pool to be comfortable.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of poorly controlled pools, so if you are experiencing discomfort, ask what the PH level is. The proper level should be just slightly basic. If the answer you get is "huh?" then find another pool.

scynn, you're comments on PH levels certainly went over my head! LOL Thanks for educating me. I'll have to ask that question next time I'm at the pool. I have a feeling I'm going to get a "Huh?" LOL :)

catdiver: good luck with your surgery; you are going to LOVE IT!!!!! Let me know how it goes.

By the way, I just got back from my dive trip and had no trouble with my eyes. Must have been the chlorine, oops I mean PH! :)

I use the pool for fitness reasons 2-3 times a week and will ask my doctor about lasik and pools. I have some swim goggles. If I use these can I be in the pool on a Monday following a friday surgery??

mierin

Corneal problems are the extent of severe dry eyes. You may want to look for a product called celluvisc. It has .5-1% cellulose which coats the cornea and keeps it protected while it heals.

mierin

Back
Top Bottom