Diving after lung surgery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariesonny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there!

Next week I am having lung surgery to remove a lesion that showed up on a routine X-ray. I am totally asymptomatic and have been diving with no problem for about 10 years. My pulmonary function tests are excellent and I am a pretty fit female of age 45. Hopefully it will just be a thoracoscopy and removal of the lesion in a wedge resection but it could be as much as a lobectomy. It just depends on the pathology of the lesion. The good news is that my PET scan came back normal so it doesn't look like cancer but you never know until they get it out of there and on a slide.

Of course I am nervous about the surgery but I have not discussed diving with my thoracic surgeon yet. I just didn't want that to get in the way of the decision that I had to make since not removing the lesion is just not an option for someone my age and health. It simply must be removed.

I was hoping that I would be able to return to diving after this surgery. Is there anyone else out there who is like me? Any advice on specific things to ask my Dr or specific tests that I need to go through after the surgery? I'd appreciate any information or advice. Thanks!!

Hi Mariesonny,

Understandably you are anxious. I do hope all turns out for the best.

Following whatever surgical procedure is performed, you will want to:

1. Be completely healed and released for full physical activity by your physician.
2. Have normal results on high-resolution CT scanning of the lungs. It is important that there are no pockets in the lung which could trap air.
3. Have within normal limits pulmonary function tests.
4. Not be taking any antineoplastic or other medications which have implications for safe scuba.

As the routine medical release questionnaire required by dive ops before taking you out asks about a history of chest surgery, you may wish to carry a letter from the doctor attesting to your fitness for scuba. If your doctor has any questions about this, you or s/he can contact DAN at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/index.asp.

Best of luck and please do keep us posted on your progress.

Helpful?

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Concur fully with DV. What is healthy on the surface is not sufficient for diving.

Scar after surgery are unpredictable and once the lungs themselves are worked on, one shouldn't dive until they have been cleared for diving.

Thought I would post an update.

My surgery went very well. A small, benign, granuloma tumor was removed in a wedge resection. I did very well in surgery so I was released from the hospital less than 36 hours later and am recovering very nicely. No breathing problems at all and very little pain. At 5 days post-op I was doing 2 miles on a treadmill at a relaxed walking pace. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this surgery was and quickly I'm recovering. My next scheduled visit with my surgeon is on September 26th and I'm quite sure I'll be returning to work shortly after that. Right now I'm starting to feel a bit like a slacker even though I know I'm not up to full strength yet.

I did briefly dicuss returning to diving with my surgeon after the surgery and he said he did not see any reason why I could not. I'm sure I will be referred back to the pulminologist who diagnosed the problem for further testing though. I've also contacted DAN seeking assistance as to what testing will be necessary since I do not believe either of my Dr's are well schooled in diving medicine.

Thanks for all the help here!

My surgeon cleared me for diving when I saw him a month after the surgery. He even told me that I could go diving sooner than waiting the full 2 months. He was pretty pleased with how the surgery went and well I healed up. I also spoke to 2 experienced instructors, one of which is also a medical professional, and got positive responses from them. DAN wouldn't give me much info over the phone but did offer to have their pulminologist talk to my pulminologist if I needed that. I figured with the other responses I didn't need to go fishing for more.

We took the weekend and drove down to Florida to do a couple of dives. Just to be on the safe side I wanted to do my first dive in the US and with a lot of other experienced people around. Things went great! No problems at all. Went to 55 feet. Next stop for us is Curacao in January.

Of course from here on out this whole surgery thing never happened. I've been told by several people that this is something that I just need to keep to myself.

Good news, Mariesonny.

Dive safe & often.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom