diving and running

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

katy

Reaction score
i have a question hopefully someone can answer. i am an avid runner and am going diving for a week in january. a dive instructor once told me that it was a really bad idea to run either before or after diving. Is this true? Can i do an easy, not too long run 2-3 hours BEFORE diving? Thanks very much for any help with this!!

Katy:

{This is also to be found on the Dr. Deco site....} Running before or after diving can lead to the growth of micronuclei and result in decompression sickness. If there is strenuous activity a short time (1-2 hours) before the dive, these nuclei will act as “seeds” during the decompression and grow into decompression bubbles.

If the activity is afterwards, the tissue might be seeded with nuclei. Dissolved nitrogen that still remains in tissue can diffuse into micronuclei and grow to decompression bubbles. As stated above, allow yourself a "cool down" period of at least a couple of hours.

Hi Katy,
I'm not a physician, but I've already made some experience
with running and diving. Whenever I did a long run (about
14 miles) on the day I went diving, I got serious problems
regarding hypothermia. My physician suggested either
drinking more water, or omit running before diving.

Andre

Back
Top Bottom