Diving (and Safety) in the Santa Marta, Columbia, Area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A Dutch dive friend of mine who is living in the Santa Marta, Columbia, area has suggested I should come down and dive there with her. She is working for the Poseidon Dive Center in Taganga. Her description of the diving sounds great and I want to get a South American dive site into my log (yes, notch another continent).

Being a US citizen, our government has successfully instilled a fair bit of fear in us... whether we are worried about terrorism in Los Angeles or abduction in Columbia. I have spoken with a few Columbian citizens I know, and they suggest the travel "danger" is exaggerated. I want to believe them.

I'd probably look to flying into San Jose, Costa Rica, and from there to the Columbian island of San Andreas (another site I want to dive, but I don't consider it "South America" except in a political sense). I've hear there are boats from San Andreas to Santa Marta.

Anyone out there care to comment on such an adventure? TIA.

Dr. Bill

Hi Dr Bill,

We live in Cartagena and are planning of diving in Taganga in November so if you can wait we can fill you in afterwards. We have heard Poseidon are the safest option.

We have been twice to San Andres, diving both times with Buzos del Caribe. They were the cheapest we could find and are just as friendly and professional as any of the other outfits on the island (they all have the same small boats). Diving is nice and relaxed, great visibility and coral and fish in good condition. You also have 30 sites to chose from around a relatively small island so good mix of walls, wrecks and coral bottom dives. There is no boat from San Andres to anywhere on the Colombian coast. You can fly from there to Cartagena, Bogota, Medellin, Barranquilla or Cali. Santa Marta is under 2 hours by road from Barranquilla, a private taxi from the airport would cost you around US$50.

We have also dived in Providencia. Wonderful place and no-one else there. Felt like we met everyone on the island. Did 2 dives with Felipe Cabezas, looks and talks like a pirate but very relaxed and professional under water.

In Cartagena we dive regularly with La Tortuga dive school. They are the only school who dive off Baru island which is much better than Islas del Rosario where all the other schools go (poor condition coral, no fish). Baru has decent visibility, OK variety of fish and very warm water. Best place we have found on the mainland coast so far, although not as good as San Andres. Will let you know if Taganga is better.

Cheers,

John & Rocio

Many thanks for your reply, John & Rocio. I'll await your report in November!

Just back from our weekend in Taganga. We did 4 dives and enjoyed them all although there were certainly drawbacks.

The village of Taganga is a real dump, littered with trash and rubble, but in a beautiful setting, a long bay surrounded by green hills. We made the mistake of actually staying in the village and being eaten alive by the hoards of mosquitos. We should have stayed in Santa Marta itself (just 10 minutes, 3 dollars away by taxi or 20 minutes, 30 cents by minibus), or Rodadero, the beach resort of the other side of Santa Marta full of Colombian package holiday tourists. Neither of these are exactly Caribbean gems but have better accomodation and eating options than Taganga as well as being relatively free from the midges. The only tourists who stay in Taganga are European backpackers on the long haul gringo trail down South America, but it's far from being backpacker central as most of them skip Colombia altogether. It's just a poor Caribbean fishing village.

Despite saying this the people in Taganga were friendly and it was interesting watching the fishing boats come in a dusk when most of the village population came down to the beach to collect their share of the fish.

Apart from fishing and ferrying tourists arround the bay to some uninspiring beaches, diving is the only business in Taganga with 5 or 6 different options. We booked in advance with Poseidon. Once we got there Oceanic and Tayrona looked to have better boats, although nothing to write home about. The Poseidon boat was the standard little launch you get in these places, not much of a motor and no shade. Would have been OK but they squeezed far too many people on board - 12 the first day, 15 the second. Even though some were dropped off at a beach to do mini-courses it was still a nightmare finding enough space amongst the dive bags and legs to get ready to get into the water. Would have been easier if we could have got the tanks ready on shore but they insisted on doing it once the boat was underway.

The group leader was called Junior and he was friendly and professional. There was another grumpy taciturn dive master but luckily she was left to look after a couple doing their open water certificate. The German owner Gerd was looking after another German guy on a course and the 2nd day there was a 4th divemaster with 2 more students.

The 4 dives we did were Torin, Piedra del Medio, Calichan and Cantil, all relatively close to Taganga. I would be surprised if they go often to any of the points further along the coast. They save money and time sticking around Isla Aguja about 20 minutes from the village.

Visibilty was not good, not very Caribbean looking at all. They said it was because of rain but 2 guys who had been there earlier in the year said it had been the same then. Despite this the dives were fun. We saw more moray eels than we have seen anywhere else, 4 or 5 per dive (black & white ones and green, including a baby green one), a flying gunnard which we had only seen before on a night dive, interesting coral, our first conger eel at close quarters, the biggest french angel fish we have seen, some striped shrimps, big oysters and the usual other assortment of caribbean fish.

We were glad we went but I don't think I would recommend Taganga particularly unless you are in the area. Out of the destinations in Colombia we have dived I would put them in this order:

1. San Andres
2. Providencia (probably should be no.1 but we just did 2 easy dives as we were only recently certified)
3. Cartagena - Baru
4. Santa Marta / Taganga
5. Cartagena - Islas del Rosario

Would definitely recommend San Andres & Providencia to anyone.

John & Rocio

Hello

We are Northamericans who dive routinely in San Andres. We had a great time diving with Buzos del Caribe though there appears to be several good operators on the island. We stay at Hotel Los Delfines next door.

Next May we may jump over to Providencia if the damage from huracane Beta has healed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom