Diving for Scallops at the Long Beach Oil Rigs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dytis-sm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am going on the Pacific Star on May 18 diving the oil rigs off Long Beach. I was told of good size scallops on the rigs and would like to pick up my daily allowance (is it 10?) if I can find them of course. For those that are familiar with the boat: Is it ok to bring the scallops on board? I was also told that you do not pick the shells, only the scallops... so what is the suggested storage after you bring them up on the boat, do you need to bring an icebox? Of course all my licensing is in order...

I am going on the Pacific Star on May 18 diving the oil rigs off Long Beach. I was told of good size scallops on the rigs and would like to pick up my daily allowance (is it 10?) if I can find them of course. For those that are familiar with the boat: Is it ok to bring the scallops on board? I was also told that you do not pick the shells, only the scallops... so what is the suggested storage after you bring them up on the boat, do you need to bring an icebox? Of course all my licensing is in order...

I've taken a total of one scallop from the rigs, happened to be while on the Pac Star. The rigs are absolutely littered with them. You will not have a problem getting your quota. The bigger ones are said to be at the deeper depths (the lower cross beam is at 110' and is considered the 'floor'). The limit is 10. Pac Star has no problem with scallops being brought on board as long as you are licensed. Some ppl bring back whole shells, most schuck them on the spot and only bring back "medallions" - the edible muscle. Pac Star has an ice maker. What I've seen mostly is ppl putting the medallions in one freezer bag, then putting that bag into another freezer bag full of Pac Star ice.

The reason I only got one is because I'm really not a big underwater hunter. Not against it at all, just not really my thing. But I decided to give it a whirl, and brought one back after shucking it at depth. Was pretty easy.

Be careful and MAKE SURE to get permission from the boat captain! When I went diving at the same oil rigs, the Divemaster made it very clear that no one could take scallops. The reason being is supposedly they are harvested commercially and if divers take the scallops, the rigs wont let boats dive there anymore. Now I'm pretty sure that last bit is a scare tactic but still, we were under the impression we couldn't take any. I don't know if it was just the policy of our boat but definitely check in with the crew of yours (as I'm not familiar with them). I went off the Sundiver.

And to your second bit, a small ice chest should be perfect. Don't forget the butter and frying pan! :wink:

Be careful and MAKE SURE to get permission from the boat captain! When I went diving at the same oil rigs, the Divemaster made it very clear that no one could take scallops. The reason being is supposedly they are harvested commercially and if divers take the scallops, the rigs wont let boats dive there anymore. Now I'm pretty sure that last bit is a scare tactic but still, we were under the impression we couldn't take any. I don't know if it was just the policy of our boat but definitely check in with the crew of yours (as I'm not familiar with them). I went off the Sundiver.

And to your second bit, a small ice chest should be perfect. Don't forget the butter and frying pan! :wink:

Yep. Make sure that it's cool to get the scallops because I've been told the same thing. I know that there are people who took the scallops and ate them underwater anyway even though they were told to not harvest any. I don't condone that sort of behavior because it constitutes thievery. You're not diving on a public site. You're diving on a private site and if there are rules about not taking scallops, I think that it's akins to somebody going into your house and start taking stuff not belong to them without your permission.

Also, if it were cool to harvest the scallops then do take the good stuff and leave the shells behind. Otherwise you better be sure that your BC can lift you and ten big ass scallops up at the end of the dive. Or take a lift bag.

One thing about shucking the scallops underwater, it sounds cool and all but you're exerting yourself if you don't know what you're doing and burning up your gas while at 80-ft or 100-ft at the bottomless oil rig site is no joke. Not to mention that some of the fish would come by and steal the scallop before you have the chance to put it in your game bag. I've seen fishes snatched that sweet ivory meat from a diver's fingers before.

Thank you for your input. I am always careful not to step on anyone's toes sort of speak when diving particularly when it comes to marine life. I just wanted to know if I should plan for picking up some scallops. Based on the comments it depends on the boat and oil rig. I am really excited about this dive with or without the hunting and the scallops are an extra bonus.

I've been told "that there was a gentelmans agreement" about harvesting the rigs. What ever that means? Something about the company that is hired to clean them, has first dibbbs. But have'nt seen anything in writing. Pac star will cook them up for you no problem. I don't hunt but I do eat. yum, yum. Pac star is an ok boat just has a strange swim deck. Easy dive. bring a camera!
Good Divin
SoCalRich

I've been told "that there was a gentelmans agreement" about harvesting the rigs. What ever that means? Something about the company that is hired to clean them, has first dibbbs.

That is correct. More to the point, it was established as a voluntary no-take zone in 2003-ish.

Shortly after 9/11, the rigs decided for "security reasons" (which just happened to coincide with the veto of the Rigs-to-Reefs bill by Gov. Gray Davis) that divers would no longer be permitted to explore the rigs. That situation held for about two years. At that time, a new agreement was negotiated with Aera Energy (who owned the rigs at the time), the USCG, the US Department of the Interior, and the local dive boat captains that allowed us access to the rigs. Among the agreements were things like notifying them ahead of time, no more than one boat working a given rig at any time, passenger manifest available upon request, and - at the request of Aera Energy - no taking of game of any sort, including (but not limited to) scallops. Aera also pointed out that they had an agreement with a maintenance company who cleaned the rig legs for them, and that company "owned" any sealife sticking to the legs in any manner. And that for any of us to take game would be to "steal" from this company.

So the agreement was that essentially we'd have access to the rigs and it would be stricly a looky-loo dive site. I know all this to be true because I was the one who negotiated with said entities on behalf of the diving community.

Since that time, the rigs have changed ownership at least once (maybe twice), Aera's no longer involved, and I know full well which boats from the git-go didn't give a crap about honoring the agreement. You're correct that there was nothing in writing. That's what a "Gentleman's Agreement" is all about. But then again, it takes people to act like gentlemen for it to work.

All I can say is that the rigs represent a unique marine environment to explore. The fact that for at least the last decade we've pretty much left it alone from a plundering standpoint certainly hasn't hurt it in terms of the abundance of sealife you find there. I'd hate to see us lose access again simply because some people decided their desire for scallops outweighed the benefit to the dive community as a whole (not even to mention the economic benefit to the dive boats). It's a great place to explore. In fact, I'll be out there with a group this Sunday. It's one of the few places where we can get an idea of what California diving used to be like.

- Ken

Well said, Ken.

With all the money a diver spent on diving, if he or she were that desperate for scallops then take that money to the supermarket and get some. It's safer and less hassle.

ouch...I just asked, did not take anything yet fnfalman:wink:.

You know some people prefer to ask for forgiveness instead of permission. I prefer the later and that is why I ask. I hunt not because I cannot afford to buy scallops at the supermarket, but because I enjoy picking up my own food from nature. But I ask and from what I know the companies that flush the oil rig legs, they do not bother with the scallops. They flush them clean most likely destroying them.

Anyway I will ask the boat people to be on the safe side and bring my permit and relevant gear with me.

ouch...I just asked, did not take anything yet fnfalman:wink:.

You know some people prefer to ask for forgiveness instead of permission. I prefer the later and that is why I ask. I hunt not because I cannot afford to buy scallops at the supermarket, but because I enjoy picking up my own food from nature. But I ask and from what I know the companies that flush the oil rig legs, they do not bother with the scallops. They flush them clean most likely destroying them.

Anyway I will ask the boat people to be on the safe side and bring my permit and relevant gear with me.

I didn't address my post to you but to follow up on Ken's post, and of course to some people that I know and don't dive with any more over this issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom