diving form like Patrick the Starfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everybody!

I'm a new diver with about 20 dives under my belt, basically all of them done drift diving in Cozumel.

So far my hugest emotional struggle has been with frustration over not being able to control my movements underwater. I tell myself to stay calm but I get irritated and fight the current, and flail about trying to stay horizontal and to go where I want to go, especially laterally, like if I look to my side and see that I'm being pushed sideways into the reef or anyother dive.

So far the only way I'm able to get any "trim" (I guess you'd call it) is to stretch all four limbs out and end up looking like Patrick, Spongebob's starfish boyfriend, and then wiggle my fins to keep my feet legs and butt from sinking.

If I try to fold my hands in close to me like a scubaBuddha, I tend to roll to my left and it feels like I'm going upside down.

If I don't wiggle my fins, everything from my butt down sinks.

OOOOO! It tries my patience!!!!!

Any suggestions? And please don't say "just relax!" Relaxing I think will come when I feel more in control!

Love ya'll!
Pamela:wink:

Any suggestions? And please don't say "just relax!" Relaxing I think will come when I feel more in control!
Take your snorkel, fins, mask to a pool and swim underwater finning only a few times. Then try diving somewhere without current, like Roatan. :D

The thing that strikes me the most out of your post is that you called Patrick SpongeBob's boyfriend? Unacceptable!!!

Sounds like you are overweighted and it is heavier at one side. Probably thats why you tend to roll over to the left.

I too have the problem with my legs sinking. Still playing around with my weights and learning how to fin with my knees bent. Or as my instructor told me "You are probably those kind of divers whose legs sink no matter what" *HAHA*

Yeah, sounds like a weight distribution issue. When you finish descent, the first thing to do is establish neutral buoyancy. Once you do that, try to shift the weights around on the belt, if you are wearing one. I wore my weights a little loose until I knew where I wanted them. Then make sure the belt is snug after that. You would be surprised how easy it is for the weights to shift on their own. In Cozumel, it is really better to be slightly positive so you don't drag on the coral.

falloutx:
Sounds like you are overweighted and it is heavier at one side. Probably thats why you tend to roll over to the left.

I too have the problem with my legs sinking. Still playing around with my weights and learning how to fin with my knees bent. Or as my instructor told me "You are probably those kind of divers whose legs sink no matter what" *HAHA*
:hmmm: The OP had a problem in Coz with being underweighted, as I recall from elsewhere here, but - she was using rental gear and weight belts as I recall. Wonder if her weights were shifting...?

I think she has her own BC now, which will help with trim if its weight integrated. For anyone using rental weight belts, I suggest 4 Keepers to keep them from shifting or falling off the end. The Operator won't have them as they're too difficult to supply and lose, but they're like $1 each and weigh nearly nothing in a bag....

1. Have your buddy keep an eye on you
  2. Make yourself neutrally buoyant
  3. Starting off horizontal and looking down, hook your arms under your tank and stop finning, let your legs relax
  4. Close your eyes and do absolutely nothing except breathe
  5. If you feel yourself rolling or changing position, still do nothing
  6. After several seconds (let's say 20 breath cycles just for grins), open your eyes and see how you wound up
This will help you identify where you need to move your weights, which isn't limited to the lead you carry - for example, if your feet did sink and you're [nearly] vertical, you can try moving your tank up further on your bc. If you did roll to the left, move some weight to the right, etc.

Remember that everything happens slower under water. You're probably trying to do everything too fast. Slow down, stop trying to fight the water - for 2500 psi you're one of its creatures.

Oh stop rolling your eyes, people! Hey! I heard that!

Thanks everybody!

Don- my very handsome new BCD (Sherwood Luna) is indeed weight integrated.

But if I recall, Roatan has WICKED current!!!! Are you pulling my leg there, ya ol scallywag? I have actually been there before, back in 97-98, where I took a joke of a 2 day intro course where the ops basically tossed us off a boat and watched us sail backwards in the current, kicking like all get out.

And immersed, that sounds like a great plan! Maybe to play with in a pool? And yeah, I bet I'm moving around like I would in air and gee, water is just ...so dense, isn't it? (Is that an opening for a slam or what?)

Reckon there are other factors in weighting besides that stinking weighbelt? (which hopefully I will never strap on one of the foul things again) Since I have boyhips it did tend to meander about all over my torso...

Some people said it is better to try and float with knees bent... and some say it is better with legs fully extended....don't bent knees tend to make one go vertical?
What do ya'll think?

Thanks again!
Pamela

M O V E S L O W L Y ...

If you fin to correct a position, it will NOT be immediate. Takes time for the "effect", if you fin, move, twist, whatever... You need to make sure you are not over compensating. Yes water is denser, and there is a slight lag between the effects of your movements. My first suggestion would be to start by moving slower, with smaller shorter corrections.

Using a new BC may take time to "dial in".. Start by trying to remain horizontal at the surface, see if you roll to one side, feet sink, head sinks, etc.. Move the weights around (not sure if there are trim pockets) until you can remain fairly horizontal in the water without all the twisting.. Above all, make sure the BC fits correctly and is comfortable.

Keep working at it.. you WILL get it ..

Back
Top Bottom