Diving from San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am new to this board, but I do have some experience with San Diego dive operators. I have dove the Coronado Islands with DCI and they are okay. They do a lot of open water certifications at the islands and when they do so they often will not move the boat from the Lobster Shack. One dive there is okay, two gets a bit boring (although if you can get the sea lions to come play it spices things up). Also there is a small wreck at the Lobster shack that provides a brief distraction. The Lobster shack has lot of rocks and consequently morrays--really big morrays.

I have made a number of dives with the Lois Ann, www.loisann.com. I have dove the Yukon and Kelp beds off Point Loma with this outfit. They are professional and reasonably priced. They do onboard nitrox fills if you are nitrox certified, which is nice for the Yukon. They also use steel tanks. The boat can get a bit crowded if it is full, although not as crowded as with DCI.

I have also dove with Hydrodiver, www.hydrodiver.com , this is a small boat. He takes only 6 divers. He will go to wreck alley and the kelp beds around Point Loma. I like this outfit. It is owner operated and he treats you very well by CA standards. Also lots of room because of limited divers on board.

Be aware that I have never seen any of these operators put diver masters in the water, although they all have staff on board watching the divers. Also, none of them will provide much assistance unless you explicitly ask for it, which is okay with me.

All in all San Diego has some good diving. Wreck Allley is great and the Yukon is a must do dive. Kelp beds are okay, although not as spectacular as the Channel Islands.

cavecreekflies,

Welcome to the Board!

Thanks for the info. Hydrodiver is a new one for my list.

I can't wait for someone to post a report on the Coronados with Blue Escape. Their boats and operation appear to be first rate (but I've been mislead by slick websites before).

Make yourself known on the "Intoductions and Greets" thread.

I have been amazed at how many times I have come back to this thread after first posting it. It has been interesting to hear of other operators and sights in an area I know I'll return to, Probably this August.I plan to check out Hydrodiver and wreck alley sound great.
Hope to see ya down under!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom