Diving gear rent price / buy price Canada USA vs Carribean destinations ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monstro

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I have a few questions - I am a beginner and will be taking PADI diving courses soon.
OW I want to do in Roatan or some other close-by area.

My questions are:

1 - How much does it cost to rent diving gear in that area?
2 - Can I rent separetely the gear I need or I have to pay for the whole package?
3 - I live in Canada and I have some simple mask and snorkel from AquaLung (leaks and far from comfortabe :), the good mask costs > $100+ tax, dont know abou the snorkel,
whould it be cheaper to buy it in Roatan or some other diving spot in Central America?
4 - Since I will be doing OWD there, how much whould it cost? I mean price for the OWD, plus diving equipment use and probably the boat with instructor that takes me to a diving spot?
5 - From the "personal" absolutly minimal gear set - whould it be just mask? Since I can rent the reast. I travel light and cant take lots of stuff with me in a backpack.

Thanks.

I am a beginner and will be taking PADI diving courses soon. OW I want to do in Roatan or some other close-by area.
Your post may be tough to easily answer, since there are some unanswered questions. You specifically mention Roatan, but also open the door to other destinations by mentioning ''other close-by area', and 'some other diving spot in Central America'. Do you have a set destination, e.g. Roatan, or are you simply mentioning Roatan because you have heard the diving there is good? Are you open to Costa Rica, for example, or, the (US) Virgin Islands (e.g. St. Thomas), or the Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao), or Mexico? The answers to some of your subsequent questions, the cost of gear rental, the cost of OW training, may be influenced by where you are going. If you are planning specifically on Roatan, then great. But, it would help to give a little more background on your plans.

A general observation: if you are going to one of these places for OW training, plan to use whatever gear they provide as part of the training. Don't plan to buy any gear while there, don't plan to buy gear before you do your training.
1 - How much does it cost to rent diving gear in that area?
Here are two example sets of Roatan prices, the first for gear rental at Anthony's Key, the second for classes at Coco View. I am not necessarily recommending them (both are good, I happen to like Coco View myself, but have stayed at other, less expensive places on the island) only giving them as examples: Roatan Dive Shop | Honduras Scuba Diving Rentals | Anthony's Key; PADI Courses and Divemaster Internship - Dockside Dive Center
2 - Can I rent separetely the gear I need or I have to pay for the whole package?
You can rent separately, but it may be less expensive to rent a 'package'. But, for many destinations, you can sign up for OW training for an 'all gear included' price, so individual rental prices may not be an issue.
3 - I live in Canada and I have some simple mask and snorkel from AquaLung (leaks and far from comfortabe :), the good mask costs > $100+ tax, dont know abou the snorkel, whould it be cheaper to buy it in Roatan or some other diving spot in Central America?
It depends. I have usually found prices to be a bit higher when traveling to island dive shops, Roatan or the caribbean. But, then again, I have usually been staying in a place where I didn't want to spend time driving around trying to find 'cheap'; I wanted to spend time diving.
4 - Since I will be doing OWD there, how much whould it cost? I mean price for the OWD, plus diving equipment use and probably the boat with instructor that takes me to a diving spot?
The best approach may be to get on the telephone, or computer, and contact several facilities to get an idea of prices. Most of the dive facilities have toll-free telephone numbers. Here is another link, from another area (St. Thomas), again offered as an example, that gives the prices for 'all gear included' OW training: PADI Open Water Diver Course | Red Hook Dive Center
5 - From the "personal" absolutly minimal gear set - whould it be just mask? Since I can rent the reast. I travel light and cant take lots of stuff with me in a backpack.
It doesn't even have to be a mask, although it is a good idea to get your own mask, that fits YOU comfortably.

1) If you own gear, for two people it fits in one suitcase under 25 lbs, thus, 25$ twice airline fee. Full rental for 2 people is about 35$ per person, just for one dive.

2) Gear in major cities with multiple dive shops / stores will always have a better price than anywhere near a resort.

3) Doing your "exam" down South, called a "referral", is easier than cold water. Much easier. This is what we did. It cost us 250$ each and I gave a 100$ tip, down in Mexico Riviera Maya (Alkamai resort).

4) Minimum gear would be mask & snorkel. Fins, that's quite a debate. We went with cold water fins - bigger, heavier, but way easier in currents. However a pair of cold water fins for down South use adds about 6 or 7 lbs.

If money isn't (much) of an issue, and for most people, they like diving down South (and have yet to do cold water diving in the summer in Canada), just get "warm" water gear. Small fins, perhaps splits, no more than a 3mm (or a 2/3mm combo) full suit, a very small BCD (like a Stiletto).

Optional to buy right away would be the regulator, hoses & octo / 2-stage and dive computer. These two alone can cost more than the rest, are quite heavy, and relatively cheap to rent. So if you just rent Tanks, Weights, Regulators (a dive computer or analog control is always included) then expect to pay 25$ per tank & weights per dive, and perhaps an extra 10$. Boat dives are usually an extra 10$ on top (versus shore diving).

Referral exam - price includes everything - but you won't be visiting any reefs for the four "exam" dives.

Approximate pricing - considering Canada taxes :
Mask, snorkel = 100$
Fins = 100$
Wetsuit = 250$ (don't pay more than that, Canadian Tire has sub-100$ 3/2mm that are not full, but cover 2/3, for surfers & boarders)
BCD = 600$

Dive computers start over 200$ each - mine cost 500$ - and a good cold water regulator with tubing & octo is 500$+

Even if the BCD has integrated weight pockets, use a weight belt, it's much easier to adjust. When you "know" how much weight you really need, then use your pockets.

So assuming you go down South for 1 week and want to do 8 dives total (after your referral), with full gear it would cost you 25$ per dive or 35$ per boat dive.
Without full gear, that would be 70$ per dive. Without regulator, 35/45$ per dive.

IOW, for 8 dives, you can save nearly 300$ per person, then there is security to consider. As a new diver, having your own BCD just like the one you did your course on, is less stressful.
Having a full or 2/3 wetsuit means less of a chance scraping on coral and a hurtful scratch.

When you have your own gear, you are more confortable, especially the wetsuit.

The "bare" minimum would be mask, snorkel, wetsuit. Then the rest...

The Great Fins Debate
- I love my cold water fins down South. I feel I use less energy to move around, great when there is current or strong wave action.
- I don't like lugging them around
- My girlfriend's cold water fins are so tiny, she has small feet, they're ok. Mine are monstrous in comparison (size 10 shoe).
- I'm getting lighter fins for my trip down South this March.
- Weight will be deciding factor

Thank you all so much for the info.
I thought rental prices would be to high, but they seem just fine.
I haven't decided yet where exactly I will go, just heard / read good reviews about Bay Islands / Roatan location to have nice coral reefs.
And it seems like a good point to start travel down south to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, haven't decided yet the exact path.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion not to buy an expensive mask prior my OWD.
If rental masks are well made and not the cheap ones (like from wallmart :) then I think it make sense for me just to rent them.

One more question though - if I do my OWD (referal, it's called?) in Roatan, when do I get the certification (considering that I have already completed eLearning and Pool dices at home)?

Will I be able to do more diving same week or the next while I am on my vacation out there, right after I did my OWD?

Also, can I do diving alone, or it's always with some other people?

If rental masks are well made and not the cheap ones (like from wallmart :) then I think it make sense for me just to rent them.
Better quality dive masks are made with tempered glass so in the event that it's shattered there are no sharp pieces. And have softer silicon skirts so they seal better. Don't worry about price but find a mask that fits you correctly. Good masks at a dive shop start in the $25-30 range. I have a really good one - large field of view, low volume - and I paid $60 for it. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Cate...scSort_0/Filter_brand=Tusa/Page_1/TBTM14.html

One more question though - if I do my OWD (referal, it's called?) in Roatan, when do I get the certification (considering that I have already completed eLearning and Pool dices at home)?
You'll get a provisional card immediately after completing your 4 OW dives and your permanent card will be mailed to your home or local dive shop (where you signed up/received the referral) after that.

Will I be able to do more diving same week or the next while I am on my vacation out there, right after I did my OWD?
The next day...

There are no scuba police but it's suggested that you take a Solo Diver course or at least build some dives before you do. Most agencies recommend diving with a buddy as standard practice. I did my first solo dive under controlled conditions around dive #35.

I haven't decided yet where exactly I will go, just heard / read good reviews about Bay Islands / Roatan location to have nice coral reefs.
They do. But, then again, so do a lot of other places in the Caribbean.
And it seems like a good point to start travel down south to Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, haven't decided yet the exact path.
If your plan is to do OW as part of a more extended trip to Central America, yes it does.
The way it (usually) works is your instructor gives you a temporary certification card at the time s/he completes your paperwork (the PIC) for submission to PADI. As soon as you finish your check-out dives, and log them, and the instructor signs the log sheets and completes the form, you are considered certified for purposes of further diving. That should/can happen at the conclusion of the 4th OW dive, so you could conceivably jump back in after an appropriate surface interval, if the instructor does the paperwork then and there. CAVEAT: There have been some cases posted here on SB where a diver goes to a Caribbean / Central America location, completes OW, but somehow the paperwork never makes it to the agency (PADI, NAUI, whatever). The diver fails to get either a copy of the paperwork, or get contact information for the instructor, and complains to the agency, which has no record of anything relating to the diver, and will not, therefore, issue a card. So, if you do your OWDs in Roatan, make sure you get AND KEEP your temporary certification card, which will have your instructor name and PADI number on it.
Yes.. You don't have to wait for PADI to send you the permanent C-card.
OK, that's a tougher one. Generally, solo diving is discouraged (put another way, buddy diving is strongly encouraged), and definitely is considered a no-no for new divers. The broader answer is, 'Yes', you can dive alone, there are no scuba police at 50 feet to ask to see you C-card. A number of experienced divers will dive solo (and some prefer to), and there are actual solo/'self-reliant' diving certification courses. Most resort dive ops don't permit solo diving, and some actually require that a DM be in the water with the group.

As long as it is a DAN or PADI centre, you'll be OK for your referral, just bring with you all your paperwork, including log book. Bring everything printed that you used, so you can refresh.

Down South certification - easier.
When I said "easier" it's because if the person that certifies you is relatively sure you'll not kill yourself diving, they'll pass you, if you can do all the basic skills. Some more advanced skills they'll let slide, knowing there's a good tip $$ heading their way.
When you do AOW, don't expect favours though.

Cold water certification is hardest - in your country - they'll make you do *everything* to perfection.
If something goes wrong, you or your insurance company will sue them.

* Once the referral is done, they will sign your logbook and fill out the necessary paperwork. Even if in Spanish, don't worry. Make sure to send the forms within 30 days, or you'll need to get re-certified during the summer at your local dive shop...

* Diving alone * Consider that a NAY, NO, NADA, NIET, until you've got at least 10 deco-dives dives on top of certification.
* Then consider it

* Diving Alone #2 * Dives with a lifeguard visible that can see a SMB waving for help, you only "dive" where snorkelers go, never go below 15 feet, that you *can* safely do. Buy a SMB, they're cheap and can save your life.

* I don't consider dives in the 0-10 feet range, off lifeguarded beaches, dangerous for a PADI / DAN OW certified diver. It's just like snorkeling, yet safer, as you have a BCD to help you float, and the course teaches you how to swim when caught in a cross current.

Thank you all so much for the info.
I thought rental prices would be to high, but they seem just fine.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion not to buy an expensive mask prior my OWD.

As long as it is a DAN or PADI centre, you'll be OK for your referral, .... for a PADI / DAN OW certified diver....

What does DAN have anything to do with this? Last time I checked, DAN doesn't certify divers to dive.

To the OP, if you're not set on a location just yet, take a look at Bonaire. It might be a bit more expensive (i guess depending on where you stay), but it's easy diving that'll be great to continue to enjoy once you're certified, and there's a shallow sand bottomed strip between the shore and reef that seems ideal for OW training. Lots of fish too.

My bad, I meant NAUI... DAN provides insurance.

What does DAN have anything to do with this? Last time I checked, DAN doesn't certify divers to dive.

To the OP, if you're not set on a location just yet, take a look at Bonaire. It might be a bit more expensive (i guess depending on where you stay), but it's easy diving that'll be great to continue to enjoy once you're certified, and there's a shallow sand bottomed strip between the shore and reef that seems ideal for OW training. Lots of fish too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom