Diving Help Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drew52

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello

We're planning a trip to Central America... only have 5 weeks to spend there so are planning a fairly busy schedule with limited time for diving.

We're planning 2 days of diving in Belize, 2 days in Utila and 1 day in Costa Rica.

For Belize we'll definately do the Blue Hole then we need ideas on another days diving. What shouldn't we miss? Which dive company should we use? Would prefer someone that is reliable, yet doesn't take large groups of divers on overcrowded boats. We'll most likely stay on Ambergris Caye but are open to other suggestions. Don't mind paying for longer boat rides etc if we can save on hotel costs.

For Utila we'd also like some info on some good dive operations and which sites are the don't miss sites.

In Costa Rica we've been thinking of diving the Bat or Catlina Island so would like the name of a good operation that dives these islands but again other ideas are welcome.

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks...

I spent four years in Belize. I would suggest skipping the Blue Hole for many reasons: 1. It's an expensive trip. 2. It's a long boat ride. 3. It's a mediocre dive--Minimal sea life, lots of broken coral around the rim (due to sea conditions, not divers). 4. It's a short dive--to see the stalagtites (sp?) (which ARE cool) you need to descend to a depth which makes for a 10-12 minute dive. 5. There are tons of better locations.

In Belize (especially when staying in San Pedro), I recommend Amigos del Mar. While I worked on a liveaboard in Belize, I did go out with Amigos a number of times and was always impressed. Often I would just go out with a few divers, so the "cattle boat" atmosphere was minimal. Consider doing the Elbow (southeastern tip of Turneffe), Some of the sites of the western side of Water Cay, and some of the sites of the southern tip of Half Moon Cay (besides, there is a nice shore excursion to Half Moon in between dives).

Just my $.02

5 weeks and only 5 days of diving? Where else and what else are you planning on going? Assuming that you really are going to do only 5 days of diving, I'll reccomend the best of what I know without real regard to your budget.

1. Belize- I agree that you should skip the Blue Hole. Do the Elbow trip instead. Probably one of Belize's best dives. Great coral and usually great Pelagic life. Its a long trip, but you'll still get two dives in and have a good meal and see some of Belize that few others do. On your other Belize dive day, I'd suggest that you dive Hol Chan and Eagle Ray alley (or point) which is just out in front of Hol Chan. Great dives. Everyone has their favorite operator and you will have to go with Amigo Del Mar out to the Elbow, but for your in town dives, I'd reccommend Pro-Tech.

2. Utila is fun. Get in some north side dives. Duppy Waters and Black Hills are good. Hit RJs BBQ and the Tranquilla bar.

3. Not familiar with any diving in Costa Rica.

I dived in Utila for several months and it is not that great, the reef is in a state of imbalance with various alges replacing the corals, I rate Roatan as a better place to dive, check out the shops down in the West End.

Utila is basically a big dive school, where you go the learn to dive... paying to dive is a waste of money, the south side of the island is basically fishless, unless you like searching for very small stuff hiding (gobies blennies ect), Sometimes (rarely) you may get to see a whale shark and snorkel with it. If you must, Captain Morgan's has a hotel on the Cays, diving by their dock is interesting with toad-fish by day and lots of critters at night.

Google Cayos Cohinos and check out the Plantation Resort, if you want to dive on a prestine reef.

Please note the water by the Utila dive school docks are basicaly sewers, the sewage level can be up to 18 times over the legal limit, so don't bother taking any courses with shops that teach you in the harbour water. Don't believe me, ask a local, they know, dive shop staff are clueless.

I dived in Utila for several months and it is not that great, the reef is in a state of imbalance with various alges replacing the corals, I rate Roatan as a better place to dive, check out the shops down in the West End.

Utila is basically a big dive school, where you go the learn to dive... paying to dive is a waste of money, the south side of the island is basically fishless, unless you like searching for very small stuff hiding (gobies blennies ect), Sometimes (rarely) you may get to see a whale shark and snorkel with it. If you must, Captain Morgan's has a hotel on the Cays, diving by their dock is interesting with toad-fish by day and lots of critters at night.

Google Cayos Cohinos and check out the Plantation Resort, if you want to dive on a prestine reef.

Please note the water by the Utila dive school docks are basicaly sewers, the sewage level can be up to 18 times over the legal limit, so don't bother taking any courses with shops that teach you in the harbour water. Don't believe me, ask a local, they know, dive shop staff are clueless.

As for Utila, for the life of me I can not figure out why people who know how to dive still go there in droves. If I am diving I want to see fish and big ones at that and Utila has none.

I disagree with the Utila opinions--Black Hills is a great dive site. My caveat is I dove there in 2003. We saw lots of schools of fish around the seamount. I also saw the only hammerhead I have ever seen in Utila. Are there as many fish as in Bonaire or Belize, no, but we saw plenty of fish. There were more fish in Belize. Definitely go out to the atolls. I haven't dove the Elbow, but I did like the Blue Hole--very few fish, but in terms of the rock formations (swimming through stalactites) it was neat. It is a short dive though. I preferred the town of Utila more than West End in Roatan, but I did like the West End. I haven't been elsewhere in Roatan. Utila has cheaper lodging, food and diving prices. My husband and I dove with Utila dive center and shared the boat with 2 others--it was just pleasure divers, not classes and we had a blast. We also saw a northern stargazer, a fair # of turtles (not as many in Mexico) and spotted eagle rays. In West end, there is a cool dive where you go through this tube encased in coral and pop out at 120'. That was fun. I can't remember off the top of my head what it was called. Sounds like a great trip!

Thanks for all the responses... keep em coming...

Diving is not the main part of this trip as we plan to see as much of Central America as we can in 5 weeks. We are planning Belize and Utila as the dive destinations with a possible extra day of diving in Costa Rica.

Currently we are planning to visit Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Panama with a few days in Cuba. So if anyone has any ideas on places to dive rather than Utila the would be helpful. Dive shops to dive with would also be helpful.

We are travelling in September, peak hurricane season we know, but this is the only time we can get off. From our reading it seems this is a good time of year for whale sharks in Utila. Anyone been to Utila in September and seen Whalesharks?

I guess that's it... Thanks and again to those that have responded...

You may want to try San Andres Island and\or Old Providence Island for diving, in the Western Caribbean off the coast of Nicaragua. Not much else to do there but dive and the diving rivals Cayman Islands as per Sport Diver magazine April issue.

Black Hills still rocks, not as many fish as I saw 2 years ago. We did a trip to the north side a few weeks ago and dove Blackish Point, the Midnight Blue Parrots fish are still there and we spotted a BIG Jew Fish on the bottom WOW... A RARE EVENT.

When cruising back we spotted an old refridgerator floating in the blue water, under it a small shark was cruising around as well as 4 dolphin fish and an ocean trigger fish... there were a number of small fish hiding under the rusty fridge avoiding being lunch.

However, a number of the other North Side dive sites are practically fishless :(

I am now in Cayos Cochinos, this place is WONDERFUL, makes Utila look like a shabby tabby and Roatan a dirty dog.

Hurricanes generally do not approach Utila or Roatan, they are Hurricane resistant like the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire & Curaçao), the weather either bounces north off the mountains or goes inland, check out the tracks of hurricane Dean and Felix from last year.

If on a tight budget, any bottom time is good time and Utila will work, but if you can part with a little more money, check out Cayos Cochinos.

I disagree with the Utila opinions--Black Hills is a great dive site. My caveat is I dove there in 2003. We saw lots of schools of fish around the seamount. I also saw the only hammerhead I have ever seen in Utila.. !

Back
Top Bottom