Diving in a dangerous current.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread and the missing diver thread in Cozumel has had me reading all the down current threads. I have been in strong currents where I had to abort.

But let me add the.... If you are diving a 32% NITROX understanding that 111 feet is your MOD... A down current as described in the resent threads could be you last dive in an instant ! A 36% mix and your reaction time is now next to none.

I may rethink that wall dive on NITROX in the future!

Sarge

Sarge
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hardly. You will not experience Ox Tox "in an instant". Ox Tox, like tissue loading with nitrogen, is a process, not a light switch.

Interesting discussion.. I will have to go check those links. It is great that the OP is asking these questions here. There is so much valuable information available here. I would suggest it is even more important that new divers find out in advance exactly what they are likely to get in terms of conditions before they book a holiday or a dive. Diving is a physical skill not a cerebral one. IMHO it is vital that people know their limits and slowly extend their comfort zone as their skills in the water develop. This may be a slow or fast process depending on the person but the person needs to be honest with themselves! I believe that the most important cerebral skill a diver can have is knowing their skill level and knowing when to sit out a dive. There is no dive ever that is worth putting yourself into a situation you can't handle. If you aren't sure if you can handle the situations that are likely to arise on a dive... the answer is simple..you are not ready for that dive! You can always come back when you are ready.. unless we are reading about you in the accidents and incidents threads:(

Especially, what would you do if you were at say 60ft and suddenly got swept down to say 200ft.

Scary stuff.

That's never going to happen unless you're frozen with fear.

#1 Use your head - don't panic if you feel the current doing something you don't like. Take a breath and figure out what is happening

#2 Use your feet - start finning away from the wall, up, toward the wall, do something and keep observing the results

#3 Use your hand - inflate your BCD

#4 Use your eyes - after you are successfully correcting your situation, where is your buddy?

This thread and the missing diver thread in Cozumel has had me reading all the down current threads. I have been in strong currents where I had to abort.

But let me add the.... If you are diving a 32% NITROX understanding that 111 feet is your MOD... A down current as described in the resent threads could be you last dive in an instant ! A 36% mix and your reaction time is now next to none.

I may rethink that wall dive on NITROX in the future!

Sarge

Sarge

Would you care to elaborate? I am just curious to know about what would happen at 111ft???

In confronting unexpected current like in all other circumstances that present a need to take corrective or emergency action, first, you need to know the situation. That means monitor your gauges regularly. No one is "suddenly" 50 feet deeper than they though they were if they are attentive to depth. Pay attention to your position relative to fixed objects, and monitor you gauges. Next, as in other current, swim across them to get out of them. Add air and swim up to a safe depth out of the current, and then, pause think, check you air supply and ndl time and depth, and then decide what, if anything, is left of your dive. If you are in down current and inflating your bc and swimming up is of no effect, then drop your weights and continue to swim across current and up. Once clear, be careful to control you ascent rate. Hold a buddy if needed to maintain a reasonable rate of ascent, and if needed, to maintain hover for a safety stop. As in all things, prevention is easier than correction. Be aware of you depth, monitor your gauges, dive your plan, and have fun while being safe!
As to the nitrox question, review your course materials and a little topic called "oxygen toxicity."
DivemasterDennis

Would you care to elaborate? I am just curious to know about what would happen at 111ft???

111 feet is the recommended MOD max operation depth for 32% O2 according to PADI info.

I'm an experienced diver 200 plus dives.. I am a new NITROX diver.. It is my understanding that when you exceed the ppO2 max 1.6 + (tolerances differ with individuals) you enter into a chance of O2 toxicity. If I remember right everyone reacts differently but one possible immediate result is convulsions. Obviously convulsing in a strong down current adds up to a lost diver.

Someone correct me if I remember my PADI NITROX info incorrectly.

Sarge

Sarge

Thanks Sarge...No you are right...1.4 MOD (planned) is 111 ft but I am also glad you mentionned 1.6 PPO2 which could be used for Contingency. For EAN 32, 1.6 PPO2 is 132 ft. Therefore, you will not instantly turn into a salt statute once you go over PPO2 of 1.4 if hell breaks loose.

Reactions: Jax
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom