diving in Belize in July/August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulhalmoni

Reaction score
I am Canadian - but I currently work in Turkey
# of dives
0 - 24
HI everyone
I am planning my summer vacation and would like to take my family to North Ambergris Caye in Belize for a few weeks this summer.
I know it is rainy season there - but will it be ok weather wise and for diving?
I was in Thailand during rainy season last summer and sometimes had problems bc of the rain - making the water murky.
in other words - will it rain so hard that we will be miserable and unable to do anything?
The other option - although Belize is my first - is Mexico.
What places would you recommend in Mexico for diving at that time.
This is all keeping in mind that i am the only serious diver - mom and dad snorkel a bit - so i am also taking into consideration beach and things to do around the area.

thanks so much - the guide books dont give enough info on diving

I was in Belize on Ambergris Caye last July, it rained about every day at some point but it never seemed to cause a serious problem with the diving. We had days of incredible vis (100 ft plus) and days when it might have been as low as 50 feet or so. The only thing the rain messed with was drying gear and dinner time. Not much beach wise on Ambergris. It is proteced by the barrier reef so there is little wave action on the beach. There is quite a bit of sea grass near the shore. Ambergris is an interesting place with really interesting people. If you're there on a Sunday night look for beach bar-b-que. Also, if you do end up on Ambergris try to get on one of the trips out to lighthouse reef / Turneffe atoll area. You can dive and the folks can snorkel. It's a little pricey, usually $150 ish per person but the diving there was glorious. Usually this is part of a blue hole trip. The blue hole was my 30th dive, probably not a good idea on my part but I absolutely loved it and I'd go back.

There are several "day trip" type expeditions that you can take from ambergris, like seeing ruins, manatees and cave tubing. We didn't do any of that but heard good things from folks who did.

I would recommend Aqua Dives Belize, great dive masters and a nice boat for the blue hole trip. Also really liked the hotel/resort Sunbreeze Hotel. You'll also find lots of good food but everything is a bit expensive. Enjoy, you'll have a great time.

It will rain every day, but you still will be ok to dive. It doesn't affect visibility too much. You will be fine. As for the blue holes, I did them in october, and though the phenomenon is pretty cool, your dives are better served on the reef...more species, more critters, coral....longer bottom time. Belize is great...my only dissatisfaction was the fact that I was ripped off by one of the divemasters, but he has since been let go. I cannot let that incident speak for all of Belize.

thanks for the answers u 2
can i ask a few questions though?
1. what did you mean by not a lot beachwise? in that there is not a lot of beach to hangout on and lie around on? not a sunbathing place? bc of the sand? or becuase of the rain?
2. why was diving the blue hole a bad idea, headers? i have only done 20 dives... is it too hard for me? now you are freaking me out haha
3. and lynny.... does it rain all day long - or just in the afternoon around dinner?
i am trying to figure out whether it would be an absolutely rain-soaked beachless vacation.
thanks again

The blue holes are fine, even if you only have 20 dives. You don't have to do a deep dive. There are some cool critters, but you will find so much more on the reef IMO. For the long boat ride, round trip, and the added expense, I am merely saying you may want to reserve that for the reef instead and save your extra time....but if you want to mark it off a list of something you have to do before you die, then go for it.

The rain was sporatic...there was no rhyme or reason. We even went on a dive in a heavy downpour, but there is usually no lightening, so it is no biggie. You definielt get sun time as well, so it isn't all lost...you will get some beach time.

I hardly ever use wetsuits for dives down there, but bring one during the rainy season because you may get a bone chill on the boat during a downpour...I would rather be diving Ambergris during the rainy season than a nice day at home...:D

We did Belize on a liveaboard in August. We had little rain and when we did it lasted only a short while. The water was 84 and the vis was very nice. From what I understand it is a very long ride to the Blue Hole from anywhere on land in Belize. To me it was a been there done that type dive. We did not find alot of critters only clear blue water at 165 feet. I would not sit on a dive boat for over an hour to see it again. The reefs are great, lots of color and nice warm water. I dove with a polar fleece suit and was conmfy. I like to have some sort of protection from stuff like jellyfish. My husband dove without and did get some pretty ugly bites from something.. we think sea lice and jellyfish. We dive in Cozumel several time a year and really love the island and the diving. Although it is very hot in August it is not crowded. We have been 4 times since Wilma and find the diving to be still world class.

ICK. sea lice? never heard of that before. But I have had my fair share of jellyfish stings - especially when I was in Indonesia - off Lombok. Hmm. Thanks for all the really great information - I think I may have my family convinced. Does everyone think that Belize is a better choice than Mexico - I mean for a vacation in general? I hate big resorts!

I wouldn't recommend doing the blue hole iteself (the 130 foot dive) if you only have 20 dives under your belt - every other dive in Belize is relatively easy, but that one can get a little tricky... I would recommend going on the boat to it, however, as the other two dives that day are unbelievable!
Alex

why is it tricky? I mean - i just assume that you would go a bit down the side and sort of swim around in.. the abyss? I gathered that you wouldnt be going down really far. Weird.. now it kinda freaks me out just thinking about it hahaha...
so... is it really worth checking out? i have it on one of my "to do" lists... and now... hmmmmm.
please.. explain why it is so tricky
: )

There is definitely a beach and lots of sand, most of it is behind a short retaining wall but it is beautiful white sand. You're probably not going to want to play in the surf like you would at many other beaches since there isn't much surf and there is quite a lot of sea grass.

Belize was my first trip any where significant for diving. The Blue Hole is the collapsed dome of a cave. It is just about 400 feet deep. At around 120 or 130 though there are really cool - huge stalactites hanging down that you can swim around. Generally the thought is that a diver should have a fair amount of experience before attempting the dive. There were two of us on the trip that had less than 50 dives each and we didn't have a problem. Don't do it if you don't have very good bouyancy control. It is deep, the cool stuff doesn't start until after 120 feet and you'll only get about 8 minutes. If you get the opportunity and even if you don't want to dive the Blue Hole, go on the boat anyway. Elmo6s is absolutely right, the other two dives are glorious. Also, depending on which charter you're on you'll likely do a lunch on Half Moon Caye and the red footed booby preserve. (No giggling in the back). It is actually pretty cool as well.

I've never been to Mexico (but i'm going to Cozumel in 18 days). You'll enjoy Belize but I can't say which is better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom