Diving in China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaryIndiana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello. Getting ready to head to China in a few months. Diving isn't the primary reason, unfortunately, but would like to get a few dives in. Has anyone had experience with a dive shop over there? Really hoping to be able to see the Great Wall underwater in the Panjiakou Reservoir. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

There seem to be some dive shops around Beijing that offers the fun dive to Panjiakou Great Wall. You need a Drysuit and at least average skills to enjoy this site. There are also two sites for decompression diving I think. You can search for their details on wechat.

The other good place to dive in China would be Lake Fuxian in Yunnan. A giant freshwater lake it is, with many dive shops scattering around its shore and offering wide range of services including nitrox, twinset, trimix and Yunnan hotpot dinner. Price there is also decent, I think it’s like 130 rmb for air and guide plus 150 rmb for gears.

Other than these, China tbh does not have many feats for scuba diving lovers. The state owns virtually all open water and is reluctant to open them for scuba diving. Lake Qiandao used to be a nice site until it was shut down recently, after a tech diver forgot how to turn on their valves during a negative entry descent. Hainan used to have some good sea water sites until the whole industry there was ruined up by some money-sick dive operators. Guangdong’s dive industry was also under a shakedown after a recent incident where five divers went missing. There are a few nice dive sites hidden across the country but you need some really good local connections to dive there.

Wow, thank you very much for the wonderful information. I really appreciate it. My wife is Chinese and the primary reason for our trip is to see her family for the first time since covid. But, I am wanting to 'sneak off" and get wet if I can. Especially if I can see the Great Wall from an awesome perspective. Do you know if you can rent a suit? I am not dry suit certified, but have no issue with wearing a 7mm. And, I am always up for hotpot! Your info certainly points me in the right direction. Thanks, again.

Wow, thank you very much for the wonderful information. I really appreciate it. My wife is Chinese and the primary reason for our trip is to see her family for the first time since covid. But, I am wanting to 'sneak off" and get wet if I can. Especially if I can see the Great Wall from an awesome perspective. Do you know if you can rent a suit? I am not dry suit certified, but have no issue with wearing a 7mm. And, I am always up for hotpot! Your info certainly points me in the right direction. Thanks, again.
Were you able to get in touch with Steven at Sino Scuba? I can’t seem to get in touch with him and I’m desperate to set up a dive.

Were you able to get in touch with Steven at Sino Scuba? I can’t seem to get in touch with him and I’m desperate to set up a dive.

Steven moved back to the US a few years ago.

China has some great sites hidden in its lakes, but as L2M mentions the sites are not set up for diving and you need the right contacts to dive them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom