Diving in Costa Rica in August? (or go to Mexico)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait a second, you plan to go dive several days on the Pacific Coast and stay in Monteverde? Going back and forward every day? In this case your budget and probably energy will not be sufficient:
It takes at least 3 to 4h from Monteverde to any place on the Pacific Coast, and to respect scheduled dives that leave between 7 and 8a.m. (for 3-tank dives) you'll have to get a rental car and get up very early to get to bed very late, if you don't fall asleep on your way back...:no:
It's really nice to visit Monteverde, but in any case I suggest not to stay there for that much time - the climate up there is very particular - unless you want to do a study about the cloud forest, which is really great to visit either hiking or with one the famous canopy tours (which don't really leave you time to observe wildlife, but are great fun).
Count 5 to 10$ to get from San Jose to any destination along the Pacific Coast by bus. You will also find accommodation for 10 to 15$ or less (for sure in Playas del Coco) if you are not too picky.
Count 110 to 220$ per 3-tank dive incl. gear depending from where you dive and which Dive Sites you go to. In any case to get as many dives in as possible for the lowest price possible, the 3-tank option is usually a good choice as it also should include lunch.
Looking at this, the 800$ budget could just be fine, you might have to do some 2-tank excursions instead of 3 every day (In Playas del Coco it's particularly worth it to do 3 dives when going to the Cats and Bats).

Well no we inteded to be in Monteverde for several days mountain biking and exploring the jungle and then maybe do some kayaking, then we'd either change where we were staying to Playas del Cocos or we'd fly to Mexico.

read my report from CR in May, on the Caribe side, and to the one that said it cost $100 a nite!!! I stayed at Bungalow malu for 80 and that was one of the higher priced places, go on over to Puerto Viejo and you can find anything you want for 60 or less and will be close to the Folks I dove with or the other two companies there

I'd avoid the Caribbean in the rainy season due to all the sediment washing out to sea around that time. As for heading to Mexico, it would seem that staying in Costa Rica would be more cost effective and like Patrick said you can find some super cheap accomodations there. Also, Patrick runs a great operation there and has the fastest boat in town which makes it easier to get to some of the more distant dive sites around Playas del Coco like the Catalinas or Bat Islands, which is nice if you plan on staying there for five days in a row and want some variety in your diving. Besides, you may even get to taste some of his wife's lovely spiced rum ;-).

Doug

Sammy Bono,
we are the nearest dive operator from San Jose.
If the new Highway is open you can reach Herradura in about 1 hour,
if it will be still under construction it will take +/- 2 hour by car.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Yes, if you want to do daily dive trips from San Jose, the Herradura or Quepos/Manuel Antonio area is closest.
If there is no particular reason why you want to stay in San Jose, I would consider to move to the coast during your diving days no matter where you plan to dive, it's so much nicer to just hang out with your dive buddies after the dives instead of rushing to the bus/car to get back to town...same counts for Monteverde...

Thank you both for your help. I will look into the herradura diving.

I just came back from Costa Rica. It was our second trip. During first, 5 years ago we visited Arenal and Playa Flamingo. During last week trip we stayed in Monteverde for 4 nights and again in Playa Flamingo for 3. At Monteverde we visited Monteverde, Santa Elena and Nino reserves and also climbed Cerro Amigos (one of very few free hiking options). Everything was nice and cloudy as suppose to be. During Flamingo part of the trip I managed only one two tank dive (because of non-diving wife) with hotel (Flamingo Marina) dive shop. Cost $95 including all equipment and credit card fees (could be slightly cheaper with cash). Though some people find Flamingo beach isolated and boring we like it since it is less crowded with Catalina islands in front (15 min boat ride). There are cheaper hotels around. I saw $30 night ad on Mariner Inn nearby (older hotel without view) $100 night at Flamingo buys nice ocean view, balcony, microwave and minifridge. Diveshop also offers afternoon 1 tank dive for $50 pp (2 persons min) and I saw ad on another diveshop about night dive option. So in theory you can do up to 4 dives/day but at rather $$$ price. I am not sure about multiple dives discounts. Diving was pretty good. Vis 50-60 ft was good for rainy season. Plenty of fish but no sharks this time (I saw several 5 years ago). Water 84-86F. Dives lasted for 40-45 min at 30-80 ft range.

I would agree with summer salt and say that either Herradura or Quepos area are your best bets if staying in San Jose area. Monteverde is a push for anywhere. If you want to dive dive dive then consider moving to the coast after monteverde.

Divo,

i dove Cano Island in the beginning of July 2 years ago..
Visbility was still good but not so good as usual.
Visibilities in Costa Rica depend of -but not only- the rainfalls,
so it's a bit dificult to predict how it would be.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Was afraid the viz might not be so good but sounds like a good place to see lots of pelagics. Would you recommend the islands/sites up north out of Papagayo? I've heard the viz can be a little better up there.

Hello, My wife and I are considering a week at bill beards place in Guanacaste.....how would the diving compare to caribbean places we have been like Bonaire, Dominica, or Belize and cozumel? I would anticipate much more current, less coral, or what? We are just open water divers w/ about 100 dives apiece. thanks for any info! J and M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom