Diving in Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be visiting Costa Rica in June and I'm looking for a dive operator to dive with during my stay. I'll be staying at the Occidental Grand Papagayo during my time in CR. does anyone have a suggestion?

I will be visiting Costa Rica in June and I'm looking for a dive operator to dive with during my stay. I'll be staying at the Occidental Grand Papagayo during my time in CR. does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm not sure where the Occidental is located. there are several dive ops with excellent reputations in Playa del Cocos -- El Ocotal resort (I've used -- they were fine) and Rich Coast Diving among them.

I did 8 dives in Costa Rica this past February. 2 at Catalina Islands. I dove with Diving Safaris out of Play Hermosa (right near Playas Del Coco). I found them to be a very professional company. I had a blast during the two weeks that I was there. They have excellent (mostly local) divemasters who really had a nack for being able to find sea creatures in places i would have overlooked! The vis was not always that great, but the marine life was amazing. As far as being advanced, I wouldn't say that these dives were overly advanced. I hit a bottom of about 70 ft at catalinas with a moderate sway near the bottom. Also be aware of the thermoclines. It can get rather cold at times.

I'm not sure where the Occidental is located. there are several dive ops with excellent reputations in Playa del Cocos -- El Ocotal resort (I've used -- they were fine) and Rich Coast Diving among them.

The hotel is near liberia and I believe it is in the south

By all means hook up with Bill Beard's Safaris. He and his wife Nadine pioneered diving in Costa Rica, and know every nook and cranny there. I was there in February, dove the Catalina Islands and was treated like royalty by Bill. It's a wonderful place to visit; clean with great diving and even nicer people. We stayed at Villa Sol resort, which was very convenient to all the local diving and night life. Don't miss all the land adventures to be had there too. The volcanos, zip line canopy tours and waterfall rappeling is fantastic!

How far is Laura's House and your dive operation in conjunction to San Jose airport? We want to go in early August from the 8th leaving on the 18th at midnight. We would like package #3. How much more would it be fore the extra days, no diving included.

Gracias,
George & Lizzette

Sub-Mariner - when you return please let us know how you liked the Occidental Grand Papagayo and how far away you had to go to get to dive ops. That is the resort that we have a package with so I would love to hear all about it.

Thanks

The Occidental is 43 km from Playas del Coco, it's near playa Panama, they do have a dive center on the resort, but it's not affiliated with PADI or the CRDP.

Happy diving

Is there a reason that it is not part of CRDP? are they affiliated with any dive organization, NAUI, TDI etc.

Does Rich Coast Diving have any pickup/drop off service?
We are staying in a house about 2 miles from Coco..
And.. do you have Nitrox?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom