Diving in Dominica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scanning over your large thumbnails, you've got some nice shots. I've never seen a flying gurnard while diving. A topside or photo or two lead me to pose this question. Have you ever been to St. Lucia?

I've stopped at St. Lucia twice on cruise ship spots; the 1st time my wife & I did a rainforest hike, and it was lush and beautiful. The 2nd time I did a premium excision to dive near the Pitons (Superman's Flight and Fairyland) with Scuba Steve's, and got a look at the rather vertical mountainous topography, which evidently extends to the water since the dive boat could dump us in close enough to shore it looked like somebody with a good arm couldn't thrown a baseball and about hit it.

I'm wondering how much Dominica resembles St. Lucia?

I'd ask about Saba, which also has a reputation for being lush and mountainous and would interest some others, but I've never been to Saba so I can't compare.

Richard.

Dove there one day on a cruise ship stop(we did a 2 tank thingy---both dives @ the Pitons ie (1)Superman's Flight & dive # (2)Piton Wall) ........Similar features UW but A LOT more creatures & critters @ Dominica.....See my St Lucia pics here---you'll notice the difference in critters I think immediately:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157630274191198/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80825593@N08/sets/72157630521027672/

PLUS, the St Lucia pics/videos were taken with my newer camera ie WA & macro lenses with external strobe & the Dominica ones were with my older P&S Canon A570 camera---only, ie no WA & marco lenses, with no external strobe......

Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead. I'm taking what will be my 6th or 7th trip to Bonaire in November, and have been looking for something different in the Caribbean to try out for my next trip. At this point, I'm pretty much sold on planning a trip to Dominica for late February. It seems to have similar diving, including a lot of the same macro and other critters I enjoy (frogfish, seahorses, etc), and the land attractions blow Bonaire out of the water.

So, my questions are:
1) What part of Dominica offers the best diving? If it's one of those "Well, it depends on what you're looking for" sort of things, what are the differences?

2) Any recommendations on dive resorts would be more than welcome as well. Everything I've seen seems to be your run of the mill motel looking room, so I'd love something a little more unique.

3) I haven't seen much mention of Nitrox on any of the websites. Is it fairly available there?

4) What's the best way to get there from Houston without having to spend a night in San Juan?

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added August 31st, 2014 at 08:22 AM ----------

Actually, I'm going to post this in a separate thread... But please feel free to answer there!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom