diving in florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Ocean Pointe Suites: Key Largo Hotels & Resorts | Ocean Pointe Suites | Tavernier & Florida Keys Oceanfront Resorts and I've also stayed at the Bayside Inn. Bayside is pretty basic and its been a few years since I've been there, but in the past it was clean and has a nice little limestone beach where you can watch the sun set. Ocean Point are condo units and all the ones I've stayed in are very very nice. It also has a nice sand beach, tavern on-site and pool. At times, I've camped in a state park as well.

For diving, I've been out with Conch Republic the most often but have also had good experience with Silent World and Quiescence

In Key Largo I normally stay at Amy Slates Amoray Dive Resort located at MM104.
The resort has two dive boats on location and a diving locker to store your wet gear overnight.
This particular resort faces west so you have some spectacular sunsets to help you with your margaritas.
The resort was just featured on ScubaNation TV show last night on the Sunsports channel and will replay.

[video=youtube;K6uu-6NObKk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6uu-6NObKk&hd=1[/video]

I don't really have any recommendations on where to stay, but I can highly recommend Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier. It is just south of Key Largo. Because of the competition down there, most dive ops are top quality, but CRD has always stood out above and beyond for me.

I don't really have any recommendations on where to stay, but I can highly recommend Conch Republic Divers in Tavernier. It is just south of Key Largo. Because of the competition down there, most dive ops are top quality, but CRD has always stood out above and beyond for me.

+1 Out standing operation.

I have always gone with Quiesence. They boats with 6 divers (6 paks). Running small boats, they can go to places that larger boats can not go. However, as said above, the competition in Key Largo is fierce and I don't think that mediocre places last very long.

I can get good discounts at the Pelican Hungry Pelican - Key Largo Vacation Cottages, Florida Keys Vacation the Bayside Inn Key Largo Hotels, Hotel in key largo, Bayside Inn Key Largo and The Key West Inn Supertel Inns™ | Supertel Inns - The Suites at Key Largo as well as the Ocean Pointe Suites.

The Pelican is the most 'Keysey'
The Bayside has a nice beach adjacent
The Key West inn has a Queen ensuite upstairs and a queen sofa pullout downstairs.
The OP suites can be the best value for the biggest property depending on how busy they are. They are NOT in Key Largo though, its in Tavernier, 20 minutes away.

As for Dive Shops, theres plenty of choice as has been pointed out. I run smaller boats, I have a 12 pax and a 6 pax, whereas some others have 30 - 50 capacity boats. Just depends on your preference really. I always feel its easier to look after 10 people than it is 30.

Agreed on CRD for sure. Spent last week diving with them as always.
For accomodations I usually do a rental from VRBO.com

Silent World, without a doubt! Dove for a week with them in '08 and couldn't say enough about them and their DM's/deckhands/guides (I didn't use a guide but saw them in action). Not only that but my dives since then have been better thanks to their folks advice on air consumption, weighting, and the like (I've not dove in a full suit since and wouldn't unless temps and critters called for it). I even had my power inflator caught between two tanks and cracked and the boat had a spare BC that they let me save the dives with that day and they didn't charge me another penny nor act as if it was the first big deal. Felt like I was right at home and among life-long friends. For those many reasons, I HIGHLY recommend the folks at SW and will use them every time I'm in the neighborhood. Oh, and the boats were great, easy to get to in the morning, and the captains were knowledgeable and helpful as well. I'm sure the others are top notch but I just can't say enough about my experiences with SW!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom