Trip Report Diving in Galapagos in October 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from the Galapagos (March 6-15). This was my second trip. The first was epic. The second . . . not so much. The viz was absolutely terrible, often 20-30 ft. At Landslide at Wolf, the current was ripping in addition to 25 ft viz, such that we had to hold on for dear life to the rocks or hope that the reef hooks stayed in place, and on the best dives at Wolf, the water temp was down to 58-62F! For most of the dives, I used my Scubapro 3/2 with a 3mm vest over it and a hood -- what I used in 2016, and a Sharkskin T2 underneath it all. That sufficed for most of the dives. But after experiencing some seriously cold water 69-70F, and when the DM said that the water on the next dives were going to be colder, I rented a 7mm for two of the dives and with my Sharkskin underneath, I was toasty warm at 62F. The viz was so bad that we could barely see shadows of a hammerhead. None of the schooling hammerheads and Galapagos sharks that we had seen in 2016. It was so cold in the water that we literally saw ONE marine iguana gamely munching on some algae at about 20 ft. In 2016, there were countless ones in the water. On the other hand, we did see 12 Mola Molas. Don't get me wrong -- I love diving and I loved the trip on the Aggressor. But it was challenging diving, and nowhere near what we experienced in 2016. The DM said that the poor viz was due to the new moon, so before you go, check into that.

TWELVE MOLA MOLA holly cow! That would make my day!

I just got back from the Galapagos (March 6-15). This was my second trip. The first was epic. The second . . . not so much. The viz was absolutely terrible, often 20-30 ft. At Landslide at Wolf, the current was ripping in addition to 25 ft viz, such that we had to hold on for dear life to the rocks or hope that the reef hooks stayed in place, and on the best dives at Wolf, the water temp was down to 58-62F! For most of the dives, I used my Scubapro 3/2 with a 3mm vest over it and a hood -- what I used in 2016, and a Sharkskin T2 underneath it all. That sufficed for most of the dives. But after experiencing some seriously cold water 69-70F, and when the DM said that the water on the next dives were going to be colder, I rented a 7mm for two of the dives and with my Sharkskin underneath, I was toasty warm at 62F. The viz was so bad that we could barely see shadows of a hammerhead. None of the schooling hammerheads and Galapagos sharks that we had seen in 2016. It was so cold in the water that we literally saw ONE marine iguana gamely munching on some algae at about 20 ft. In 2016, there were countless ones in the water. On the other hand, we did see 12 Mola Molas. Don't get me wrong -- I love diving and I loved the trip on the Aggressor. But it was challenging diving, and nowhere near what we experienced in 2016. The DM said that the poor viz was due to the new moon, so before you go, check into that.
Hello, from this report I understand that Cabo Douglas and Punta Vicente Roca have been reopened? Because at the end of last year I heard they were closed, also due to bird flue. I think Dan also told me this, right?

I think Dan also told me this, right?

Right. I was supposed to be in Galapagos last December. I rescheduled it to November 2026 because of the Avian flu. I went to Maldives in last December, instead.

Hello, from this report I understand that Cabo Douglas and Punta Vicente Roca have been reopened? Because at the end of last year I heard they were closed, also due to bird flue. I think Dan also told me this, right?
Yes, they are open again after being closed to contain the avian flu. I think that we were one of the first weeks to visit after being reopened. FYI, there is no longer any night diving allowed.

TWELVE MOLA MOLA holly cow! That would make my day!
Yes, wild! They were deep, about 80-100ft, and the water was about 60F at Wolf. Amazing to see them all cruising around. When we went in 2016, we saw 2 on one dive and they took off when some folks armed their X-Wing fighter camera rigs and started blasting the mola mola’s with strobes. They were outta there! This group was significantly more reserved and didn’t have X-Wing fighters, for the most part, and so the mola molas hung around!

Reactions: Dan
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom