Diving in Grand Cayman in February...some concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eklipso

Registered
Reaction score
I've had my OW for almost 3 years and have been on just under 50 dives in that time. I received my cert in Grenada back in March of 2001 in under 3 days time. Because I'm extremely comfortable under water (been surfing since I was 5), the DM that trained me took me out on a few dives with AOW people in some very challenging areas. My first dives ranged from 60' to 105'. Although I was slightly nervous and wasted a lot of air, I had an incredible time and saw some amazing sites (my 2nd dive after OW was a wreck dive - forgot the name of the cruise ship wreck in Grenada, but it was amazing).

Basically, every dive I've ever done was with people with far more experience than myself. I'm scheduled to dive in Grand Cayman in early february on a cruise that I'm taking. I've been told by some of my DM friends that the cert required by the cruise ship is NOT an OW cert, but some type of "Padi Scuba Diver Certification" and that most people diving will not be as experienced as myself. I am concerned about diving with inexperienced people for safety reasons. Will we be diving more than 60 feet? Should I go to a non-cruise related dive center and schedule a private dive with a local DM for a better experience? Has anyone gone on a cruise dive before that can help me with my concerns?

Thanks a lot...

Eklipso

Padi is a full open water cert. Of course there are also resort diving courses that are much less strict and can be acheived in 1 day. But there should be lots of restrictions on those divers (should be). I doubt that you would be diving deeper than 60', but then I don't know what the cruise line is like.

I've been on two cruises (so far). The first I used the vendor used by the ship. It was OK, but just barely. Lots of divers and a pretty generic dive.
The second time, this last December I made all my own reservations and arrangements. It went great!! Although a cruise is not the "best" way to go on a dive trip. Since the ship is only in port for a few hours, that leaves you a small window to get the two dives in that you want. We went to Grand Cayman on the first dive of the trip and used Neptune Divers. They were great, met us at the Public beach at noon and we got in two great dives and then took us back to the pier to board the ship, and for less than the ship wanted.
I would recommend them and use them again...

Hi Eklipso, I went on a cruise last May and made my own reservations with the this dive boat operator at Grand Cayman. They are called Off The Wall Divers, their web site is www.otwdivers.com . Go to the Web Site and read the guestbook. My wife and I could not say enough about them. THEY ARE GREAT. I emailed them as to what time my ship docked and he rescheduled to accommodate our docking time. He did this so we would not have to hurry and it gave us plenty of time to get ashore. He picked us up and returned us to the dock. He only takes 6 to 10 people, no cattle boat. Brought my own gear, but they will rent you some if that is the way you want to travel. Tanks and weights are included in the unbelieveable price. Say Hi to Danny for me if you decide to use them ( of course they won't remember me ) . Cannot wait to go back and dive with them again. If you would like to take me along as your guide ( pay my fare) I'ed be more than happy to acommodate you. LOL

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

F.Y.I. In cozumel I used Aqua Safari. My dive instructor recommended them and the were nice.

Thank you all for the information. I will be contacting "Off the Wall Divers" because it looks professional and more in line with what I want in a Cayman diving trip...Thanks again.

EK

EK,

Since you have limited time, I sugest you contact Neptunes Divers. They give a good trip, the crew are great diver masters and they will pick you up and bring you back to the ship. Casey, one of the owners is a board member. You can send her a PM, her user name is CAYMANCASE.

He a great time.

Bill

Eklipso, I am in the same predicament you are. In fact we may be on the same boat? We are leaving from New Orleans 2/7-14 on Royal Caribbean - Grandeur of the Seas. Hitting Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Cost Maya.

I plan to make my own reservations too and have done so for the Cozumal Port. The Grand Cayman is a little more difficult due to the limited time there (10am-5:30pm).

I am going to look into the recommendations mentioned above. Let me know if you are on our ship. There are 4 of us that will be diving the ports of calls.

Ryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom