Diving in Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoopy

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there

I have a frequent flyier ticket which transits in Tokyo.

Wondering if there are any reasonable priced dive spot / packages in Japan that can be considered.

I wouldn't mind staying cheap, so as long as there is hot water.

Heard about Okinawa and others but the web sites are in Japanese.

Any advice are appreciated.

Thanks

I was stationed in Okinawa back in the mid 80's, infact that was where I was certified. The water there is beautiful although we did wear 6 mil wet suits all year around and 5 mil hoods in the winter. I recall lots of marine life, beautiful coral and easy shore diving.

Here are a few web addresses in English.

Okinawa SCUBA

Okinawa Home Page

Visit Okinawa

Welcome to Okinawa

For more sites go to Google.com and type in Okinawa with the language preferance set to English only.

Okinawa is more than a quick jump from Tokyo; have you considered the expense to get there and find a place to stay? If you're not going during a Japanese holiday season, it shouldn't be difficult or terribly expensive, but if you happen to have the bad luck to travel during a holiday, good luck :eek: ; I think there are two three-days weekends this month, now that Japan has gone to a holiday system where days off are moved to Mondays/Fridays of the nearby weekend.

There's plenty of English-language information on the web about diving in Okinawa, one shop is Fathoms Diving. A web search on Google will probably turn up some more.

If you're only going to be there for a few days, people dive on the Izu peninsula (accessible by land from Tokyo). Jonathan here on the board lives near Tokyo and dives there from time to time, you might pm him and see if he has any advice.

Just came across another English language site you might find useful: Dive Japan.

Good luck!

Internal flights in Japan are not too cheap - plus there is lots of good diving near Tokyo. The Izu penisular is a short train ride away.

But, and there is a big but, it is not cheap! Diving in Japan starts around 15,0000 yen for a 2 dive package. If you need to hire then start adding, if you want nitrox - good luck (although I know a man that can and two boat dives will set you back 26,000 yen ($220). A weekend including travel will cost about 60,000yen (somewhere in the region of $500).

The diving however is great! I am very thankful that I am able to do it here.

If you are interested when you are next over let me know and we can arrange something.

Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom