Diving in low viz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The "Swamp Divers" of Texas' motto is "good viz is overrated". Besides, you can never truly experience great visability, i.e. Bonaire until you have experienced bad visability, i.e Lake Belton.

Most of my dives have been done with a maximum of 4m vis. One of our local sites (also where I have done most of my training) has about 2m vis on a good day. I've just gotten used to it and it's no problem. I figure if I can dive where I can't see my hand I can dive anywhere. Some of my friends who have only dove in tropical resort locations think I'm crazy but it's just a different style of diving.

When the ocean doesn't cooperate, I go dive the local lake so I can at least get wet. Between 40 and 50' you lose natural light and get around 10' or so viz in a good light beam, and if you disturb the silt you won't be able to find your a** with both hands.

We have found all manner of things that people have tossed off the bridge or lost off their boat.
Some things we find we will keep and others have been turned over to to the Rangers. Navigation is interesting and lines have been run between the larger debris to avoid getting lost because it gets deep in a hurry and making a black water free ascent is not nearly as much fun as it sounds.

I wouldn't get much deep practice without the lake, as most of the ocean shore sites rarely break 60'. And it also gives me a chance to practice skills when all else is too boring.

Bob

The excitement of discovery. Dive several times in the same place and see new things each time. If visibility is good, you see everything at once... and then it is... seen.

Sensory deprivation is sometimes relaxing.

Diving low viz is challenging, which is why I do it. It's like golf...if it was easy everyone would do it, but since it is difficult and sometimes frustrating, those that become good at it have a sense of accomplishment when they perform really well. That's probably why I don't get über exited by diving 100' viz in Florida.

For the most part, once I'm in the water I'm staying there. The only times I've aborted dives is when I had near blackout conditions. If I can't see my flashlight beam a foot in front of me, there's no point to staying down there.

10-15 ft viz is good around here. 5 feet is perfectly do-able, as long as it's not too dark to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom